Connecting disconnected persons

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
chavakayla

Post by chavakayla » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:33 am

I just received a descendancy narrative report from a distant relative. I want to add the information to my database. I could go backwards, but I think it would be easier if I entered the data in the order of the report which means starting with a disconnected person. Will I be able to connect to the data that I have? I hope I am making sense.

Thank you.

alid62

Post by alid62 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:17 am

Presumably you will eventually reach the person who joins on to the tree you have. If it is someone who already exists in yours and you&#39re heading &#39down&#39 attach them to the newly created parents using "attach existing person as a child" (under the &#39people&#39 menu, or right click on the box). If you&#39re going &#39up&#39 then "attach existing person as a parent" (ditto) or "attach existing person as a spouse", whichever is appropriate.

In each case iFamily will come up with a suggestion list. This is based on the individuals being in the right age bracket to fit with the person you&#39re trying to join them to. If you don&#39t know the age put a suitable year in that will bring them up in the list and then take it out when they&#39re joined on.

Hope this helps.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:14 am

Just to reinforce what alid has said.

It sounds like you want to start from the top, then work your way down through your descendants report until you reach the already completed part of your tree.

So your first step will be:
1) to use the menu&#39s to choose People -> Add unconnected Person... to enter the person at the top of the line.

2) Progress through your source document adding all the people it contains.

(You may wish to utilize the active source option, please click this link for more information)

Finally, your last step will be to:
3) Navigate to the existing person in your tree to which the new branch connects and make them the focal person in the diagram. Right click on that person and select Attach an Existing Person as a Parent.

You will be able to jump between the unconnected branches of your tree at any time by using the [Index] button on the left of the iFamily toolbar. (alternatively you can use the key combination Option + Cmd + I to access the index)