Attach existing person as an associated person

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
bakofoed

Post by bakofoed » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:30 am

This does&#39t seem to work. Even the Close button doesn&#39t work.

Regards
Bjarne

alid62

Post by alid62 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:50 pm

Same problem here - suspect something is broken as I&#39m sure it did work in a previous version.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi,

It seems to work for me - v 2.511

In what way is it not working?

Can you describe what you were trying to do (Age of person to be added and age of the parent)?

Thanks,

Nigel

alid62

Post by alid62 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:59 am

In the area "Name contains words that start with" if you type something no suggestions appear below. The close button doesn&#39t work either (or the red button) so once its up you can&#39t get rid of the box.

I&#39m using it at the moment on a machine running 10.4.11, I haven&#39t checked to see if it works on my laptop at home running Leopard, so it may be a Tiger thing, which has happened in the past.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi,

OK, first I did not read the subject correctly and tested for adding a child or parent.

With adding an associated person the Close button does work if a person is selected but not if there is no person to associate.

The search filter does work with any part of the persons name beginning with the entered text.

Not sure if it is actually adding the association as it does not offer the opportunity to add any information about the association that you get with the Add an associated Person rather than the add an existing person as ...

Your problem may relate to Tiger but I cannot check as I am using Snow Leopard on the laptop and Leopard on my desktop.

Over to Warwick - I vaguely remember some mention of Associate person being broken but have not had a use for it so far (but have just thought of one for the Servants in the Census or visitors/lodgers)

Nigel

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:12 pm

The Associated person is broken only insofar as it is not writing and reading to and from the Gedcom Import and exports. This is on my list for the next release.

The close button appears to proceed to adding whichever person is highlighted, it would be useful to also have a cancel button on this dialog. You are correct, the red button has the same effect.

If you mistakenly proceed to the dialog to add an association, clicking the "Delete the association" button in the resulting window will cancel the action.

If an association is added by mistake, right clicking on the associated person and selecting "Edit association with focal person", followed by the "Delete the Association" button will anull the relationship and discard any association notes added.

If anyone is still experiencing problems with this functionality not behaving as it should please contact me by email. A reinstall may be required.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Warwick,

I just tested on my Leopard version (PowerPC) and it behaved correctly giving the second dialogue box.

I will re-test on on the Snow Leopard Laptop install and let you know if it is OK now - I&#39ve got a cold right now and it may be affecting my brain!

A cancel button would be logical but not totally necessary as you can back out of it as you describe.

Nigel

alid62

Post by alid62 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:42 pm

... works in Leopard, doesn&#39t work in Tiger ...

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Snow Leopard is ok. I&#39ll pick up the tiger machine from Dads place this weekend. I was going to have to get it next weekend when I move house anyway.

I am still committed to ensuring iffl works well on all 3 platforms.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:38 pm

HI,

Re-tested on Snow Leopard and as expected it worked perfectly - no idea what I did yesterday.

I added an associated person to the Focal person and he/she appeared next to the Focal box as is reasonable.

When I deleted the association, the Associated person became the highlighted person (turned pink) and the text in the bottom pane was relevant to that individual.

Selecting Edit Associated details (or something) and deleting the association removed the person from the context diagram but left the focus on that individual - and hence the info at the bottom of the screen.

Not a major problem as the display focus can be changed by clicking on another individual but it would be better if it went to the Focal Person automatically.

If you are working in this area this might be a useful tidy-up.

Nigel