How long will it take?

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Paul

How long will it take?

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:07 pm

I am in the process of loading a very large gedcom file into iFamily for Leopard - there are 6.5 million lines and over 400,000 entries (presumably people). Understandably this is taking a long time.

I am giving the process dedicated access to my iMac G5. So far it has taken 28 hours to get to the end of the phase "Reading Individuals&#39 Events". It is now "Processing Individuals&#39 Events - Validating and Saving", but there is no progress counter so I don&#39t know how far it still has to go - it has been at this for about 12 hours now.

So my question is, does anybody have a general idea how much longer this will take (perhaps based on time taken so far)? What stages in the load process are there still to go through? - The "Overall Progress" indicator is still only showing about 30% done. Is the time taken so far reasonable considering the size of the gedcom? And is there any way to know whether the process is continuing, or has the import crashed?

I am hoping that the eventual database I get will be useful, and am willing to let it run its course, up to a point. I&#39d just like to know where the course ends.

Thanks,

Paul.