how to display a divorce in descendant chart

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
NancyM

how to display a divorce in descendant chart

Post by NancyM » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:28 am

Hello,

I would like to know how to display a divorce in the Descendant Charts (either the word &#39divorce&#39 or "div." and/or &#39divorce and the year, YYYY&#39) because for some family members who are currently divorced, if one reads the descendant chart it shows no divorce in the chart, so it looks like they are still married when they are divorced.

Here&#39s an example of what one divorced person&#39s entry looks like in a descendant chart:

John SMITH
b. 24 Mar 1945 at Shangri-La, Florida
m. 04 Jul 1975 Jane DOE

It looks like this person is still married in the chart when in fact they are divorced, since no divorce (the word divorce or "div YYYY") is displayed!

One solution I came up with, is to put the text " (div.) " after the ex-spouses Surname, so it looks like this in the charts:

John SMITH
b. 24 Mar 1945 at Shangri-La, Florida
m. 04 Jul 2002 Jane DOE (div.)

not the best solution, but it works. However, I am hoping someone can tell me a better way!

QUESTIONS:
How do you display a divorce date ("div YYYY") or "div" in the Descendant charts?
Perhaps I am missing a preference or something I should be doing in creating the report?
If not, any ideas on how to show a divorce in the charts?

Thank you in advance for any kind help and assistance!

Nancy

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi nancy,

I don&#39t believe you are missing anything. There is no way to display the divorce details in the Ancestors or Descendants charts. The only entry I have seen is in the Person Report though there may be others.

In most cases there is a second marriage so a Divorce can be assumed to have happened is the first spouse is still alive (at the time of the second marriage). Not very neat or complete.

If this is a requirement it probably needs to be a product enhancement request to Warwick to try to fit in at some stage.

Not all &#39events&#39 are selectable to be displayed in the reports/charts so I guess to some extent it is a balance between flexibility and too much info.

Nigel