Event Names

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Babs

Event Names

Post by Babs » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:17 pm

If I select Events, Event Names and then the drop down for Event Type Filter, I notice not all Events I see in the Event View for individuals are shown - for example: Death.

I also notice that for those Event Types that are avaialble, anything I have added (apparently since I have imported my database) does not show once I select an Event Type Filter. Events imported are displayed.

I have IFamily for Leopard Version 2.511, purchaased a few months back. Please could you let me know how to correct this?

Thank you for your time.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 am

Hi Babs,

I believe the list in the drop down is internal to iFamily rather than being related to the complete list of Event Types.

If so, then it is an area for Warwick to look at to allow the complete set of Event types to be used in the filters and other selection areas.

Was there anything you were trying to achieve with the &#39Death&#39 event type filter as there may be another way to achieve it?

You can always export the data to a spreadsheet and use a filter on the relevant column to achieve the sort of selection you were suggesting - not integrated but possible.

Regards,

Nigel

Babs

Post by Babs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:26 pm

Nigel - thank for that.

I can see what you are saying. I will see if that gets confirmed.

I am new to this software, so the thought of another way is quite possible. I had found where records of a certain funeral home were kept and wanted to find all people who had used that business. I wasn&#39t sure how to find them, and believed I had placed funeral homes in the "Notes" of Burial events. I bumped into this feature and saw that it would display all burials, with the notes displayed, making my work quick.

In exploring this feature I noticed that Deaths were not there (thinking I should check those too) and that Baptisms only held those I had imported. I have added some since and they were not shown.

Appreciate any additional thoughts!

Geordielass

Events

Post by Geordielass » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:31 am

If you&#39ve entered the address of the funeral home you can search on event places and find all people for that address, or you can search on a partial address, e.g. street; town; county. Even a part word will produce results then all you need do is scroll through the list until you find what you want

Good luck
Enid
Enid
Expat Geordie researching: Atkinson; Burn; Archer & Thompson - Dunston & Whickham.
Bell; Shanks & Fawcett - South Shields & Usworth Co. Durham;
Walmsley- Bolton Lancs & Usworth Co.Durham);
Donnelly - Armagh & Whickham

Babs

Post by Babs » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Thank you Enid.

I have never really learned if there is a "proper" genealogical wat for entries and really do this for myself - so have developed the following.

Perhaps there is a better way, but for deaths I enter 2 events:
1) Death with the address showing location of death and event notes showing additional details - really anything else I want to share.
2) Burial with the cemetery&#39s address as location and event notes showing any funeral home, church information and plot information including who else is buried there - again anything else I want to share.

I suppose in the future I could add the funeral home as an address with a separate event - Wake I suppose? I am not so sure of this approach.
Really, for viewing sake having the information included in notes works fine and this is te first time I have ever really gone to look for a funeral home.

How do other people manage funeral home information - including address, or for that matter, deaths, wakes and burials?

Thanks again!