Use of Reference Number

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Kirsten

Use of Reference Number

Post by Kirsten » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 am

I see a reference number rectangle to the right in line one of a person's main window.

If I type a number in this space, where does it appear?

I am wondering if the only time I'll see it is on that particular view of that person or does it show up in any reports?

Can I search a list of Reference Numbers?

I am trying to decide whether I want to use this area for my personal numbering system or not, and I do not see where else it appears.
I don't want to start entering numbers in places without knowing what purpose they might serve. So, I'd like to find out how this Reference Number works.

Hope someone can enlighten me - not in general - just on this subject - ha...
Kirsten

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:59 am

Hi Kirsten,

I don't use those fields myself (Ancestral File & Ref. No) and the only place I have found the Ref Number is via the search field in the top right of the main screen. If you click on the little magnifying glass you should find a set of options to search for - default is Name. One of those is Reference Number and it will find a person with a set ref. no that matches the entry in the text field.

There does not seem to be one for 'Ancestral File' and the Advanced Search option is greyed out on my system so I do not know if that is meant to provide more features.

I would be interested in what you would use this field for - is it to link with another record system (paper notes etc)?

regards,

Nigel

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi Nigel,

Excited about this answer.
You would not believe how long I looked and looked for the little magnifying glass you mentioned.
I finally saw it and it opened up a whole new world just about. (I wonder how many other places that little magnifying glass can perform magic for me... I may look back on this as a Eureka event.)

Yes, exactly: My use for this would be a cross-reference to my own, old paper system and it will work quite nicely. What fun to solve this vexing issue of how to get my numbers added in a useful way.

Thank you, thank you!
Kirsten