Leave notes out of Place Names report?

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Kirsten

Leave notes out of Place Names report?

Post by Kirsten » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:43 am

Is it possible to request an Events > Events Places > create CSV filtered Place Name Report - without ending up with a column for notes?

I know I can delete the column once I have created the spreadsheet, but I am wondering if the profusion of material in my notes causes the following problem in the creation of the CSV filtered report:

The bulk of the report looks fine, but a few entries become "confused" and appear in further away right hand columns with a lot of blank lines in between so that instead of ending up with total 8 columns - the nine minus the notes - after I delete the notes column, I end up with 17 columns, the last of which is also notes, but columns 9 - 17 are spaced far apart with lots of blank lines in between them.

Spreadsheet has a total of 168 lines. The left columns 1-8 look very neat, an entry on every line.
I notice that there are only 4 entries in columns 9-17 and I see that they have parked themselves in a line (occupying columns 9-17) where columns 1-8 refer to the same place as they each do - so their placement isn't random.

Kind of a bother to clean up, although doable.
It also makes me wonder if I can trust the information...

Anyone else having this problem?

My CSV report goes to Numbers, not Excell.

(March 31, 2011 I changed title of this post. It initially and erroneously referred to "sources" report. It should refer to "Place Names report" as I have now corrected it! Sorry!
Kirsten)
Last edited by Kirsten on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:30 am

Hi Kirsten,

I have just run the report on my database and there is no option to exclude the Notes.

However, I did not have the problems you describe - all my data goes into columns 1-9

I tried this on both Numbers and Excel without any data in later columns. Excel will spill the data over later columns if there is no content but the column width can be adjusted to compensate. Numbers only puts in 9 columns for me.

I wonder if you have imported the .csv file using some parameters that is putting a new row in when there is a new line character (/n) in the file as these occur in the multiline notes fields.

I opened the .csv with Numbers and it took it with out having to set any variables.

Hope that helps,

Nigel

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 pm

NigelRichman wrote: I did not have the problems you describe - all my data goes into columns 1-9

I wonder if you have imported the .csv file using some parameters that is putting a new row in when there is a new line character (/n) in the file as these occur in the multiline notes fields. Nigel
Nigel,

I am absolutely delighted that you have a suggestion for the possible source of my problem - and so quickly.
Thank you very much. I will check this out soon.

Thanks to wonderful help on this forum I feel like I am making great strides in getting off to a good start. :lol:

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:07 am

NigelRichman wrote: a new line character (/n) in the file as these occur in the multiline notes fields.
That was exactly the problem! I located my five instances of new line character (/n) in note fields. As soon as those new line characters were removed, I had a very normal looking spreadsheet.

Thank you, Nigel for taking the time to help me resolve this.
I feel happy to have discovered early on that it is not a good idea to put new line characters into the event note fields. Not hard to avoid...

Kirsten

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi Kirsten,

Glad it is sorted though I must confess neither Excel nor Numbers had the problem with the \n characters in my multi-line notes.

Something must have been converting them to make the multilines - a task for sometime.

Nigel

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 pm

"\n"'s should be able to be escaped when i print the csv. While excel does not like multiline cells at all, i am happy to find numbers will accept them.