How to work with "Associated Person"

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Kirsten

How to work with "Associated Person"

Post by Kirsten » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 pm

I am exploring the use of "associated Person"
It is confusing to me and as I reread my writing about the issue, it too seems confused. Nonetheless, I hope that someone can understand what I am talking about and give some hints and experience.

My thinking is to use it for information about people that are witnesses to certain events (baptism, marriage) if I have reason to suspect that they would be relatives and provide threads for future exploration.

When I enter People>add an associated person, a little dialog box appears.
You can enter notes about this association.

However, I don't see that I later have any access to these notes.
When I later - from Person Index - locate the associated person and open his/her "card", I do not see anything entered anywhere, except for the name. No notes. Only the hovering associated person box.

I am also wondering how I can connect that same associated person with a second or third "regular relative". (e.g. the same associated person is witness for two different children's baptism).

Further question: Can an existing relative be shown as associated with another relative? I notice that when I merge an associated person with a "regular relative" the association information is lots (= I no longer see associated person box hovering over the person associated with.)

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:32 pm

Kirsten wrote:I am also wondering how I can connect that same associated person with a second or third "regular relative"
Right click on a different person, (when focal), and choose "Add existing person as Associated Person". I'll investigate a drag and drop linker when I have time.
Kirsten wrote:However, I don't see that I later have any access to these notes.
Click on the relationship handle between the two identities to bring up a dialog with the notes. This note will also be exported to Gedcom as a NOTE under the ASSO tag.

If you have linked an associated person for whom you have genalogical information about, you are able to promote the Asso to focus and fill out their tree. This can be useful when two families have had multigenerational conenctions. (Such as next door neighbour farmers, linked business families, or slave/slaver connections in some cases.)

iFamily databases will currently regard associated people's families as "Unconnected Minor Dynasties". Associated people are currently not yet properly accounted for when you interrogate "Unconnected People" from the Database Inconsistency Report. (They will turn up as unconnected).

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:46 am

That was a very quick and satisfying answer.

I was able to make sense of this and use it to my advantage. Helped me with material on hand and hard to keep track of.

However, Warwick - i am not sure I want to thank you for your quick answer: It got me so involved that I have now spent hours and my eyes are popping out - ha!

Seriously: Thank you... :lol: