Missing links

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Billericay

Missing links

Post by Billericay » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:16 am

Hi,

I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to include an ancestor in my tree, whom I am sure is part of the family but I cannot find a direct link between him and his descendants? The person I am interested in comes from the same area as his supposed descendants and has the same family name, but there is a gap of 200 years!

Many thanks

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 pm

HI,

I think I would assume that each generation is about 25 years so 200 years = 8 generations.

Enter the ancestor and insert a notional descendant with an appropriate name (unknown1 FAMILYNAME, Unknown2 FAMILYNAME etc) for the generations until you reach the known part of the family.

Comments with each generation to remind you of why there are inserted along with possible birth years (every 25 years) just to put a ballpark figure to help future research.

It won't be right but you can amend the entries as you find the details and add or remove any extras as appropriate.

Not easy but not a lot to go on with a 200 year gap and a gut feeling.

An alternative is to put in the distant relative as a disconnected person or even an associated person with the appropriate Comment to help find him (or her) as your research takes off.

Hope that helps,

Nigel

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:44 am

Nigel wrote:An alternative is to put in the distant relative as a disconnected person or even an associated person with the appropriate Comment to help find him (or her) as your research takes off.
I would recommend this latter strategy rather than entering many unknown generations. To reiterate:

1. From the Menus choose People->Add Unconnected Person...

2. The new person will now be the focus, Use the Drop Down box in the toolbar to navigate back to the person for whom this is an ancestor.

3.Right click on this descendant and choose Attach Existing Person as an Associated Person.... then select the new unconnected person from the dialog and press Close.

Using comments on each person to document what you have done can be useful, you can also add information into the Associated Person relationship dialog to clarify the situation.