Transferring to new MacBook Pro

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
John1033

Transferring to new MacBook Pro

Post by John1033 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:34 am

I have been using iFamily for over three years on a MacBook updated to snow leopard. My cat knocked this computer off the table and I can only boot it up in the hard drive device mode. I cannot access the application to open it on the broken machine. I have purchased a new MacBook Pro which came with lion. I'm also searching for a FireWire adapter so I can link the broken one to the new one. Will transferring the application also collect all my data/pictures or will I need to find the data somewhere else on the hard drive? I'm afraid this is not going to work and I'm going to lose all my work. Any advice is welcome and appreciated. John

Pewterpot

Post by Pewterpot » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:59 am

Not really sure what you mean by 'Hard Drive Device', but when the two computers are connected by a firewire cable, the hard disk on the broken computer should appear on the new machines desktop.
You could then use 'Migration Assistant' on the new machine to transfer everything across - (if the HD icon appears, double click on it to make sure everything is there).

Not ever having this problem myself, this seems to be the most logical, but others may have a different solution.
20" iMac G5.
OSX 10.6.8

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

John1033

Post by John1033 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:25 pm

It shows up as an external hard drive. (yellow) if I understand correctly, the migration assistant will move the application and data? Thanks, john

Pewterpot

Post by Pewterpot » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:18 pm

That's the way I understand it!
Ensure that the yellow icon as an external really has everything in it by clicking on it twice before you transfer the contents over as you may have damaged it.

As a btw: There is an application called Superduper (www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/) that is a very useful programme for doing almost the same thing, and is less than 20 quid. I believe there is a trial version.
There is also a Forum called mac4mac that has many very helpful people on it.

I wish you all success and hope it's been a little helpful.
Welcome to the forum!
20" iMac G5.
OSX 10.6.8

John1033

Post by John1033 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:36 pm

The bottom line good news is I got my data moved to the new MacBook Pro, however not with the migration assistant. The hard drive on the broken mac is unreadable. Fortunately my wife backed things up last August on a peripheral hard drive. At first the new machine could not talk to the backup drive and we were really frustrated. Why have back up if you can't talk to it? However after some tinkering we finally got communication and I was able to move the application and find my data. I only lost a little work I did in October. I have upgraded to the latest version and am very relieved. Thanks to all for their input. John

Pewterpot

Post by Pewterpot » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Glad you got it all sorted.

Have you tried using the original Installation disk on the broken mac?
You may be able to open the 'Utilities' folder from that disk and then try to 'Verify' and 'Repair Disk'
Try it at least 3 times.
20" iMac G5.
OSX 10.6.8