Prune a Tree

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
JAZ

Prune a Tree

Post by JAZ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:31 am

I have a tree in iFamily which is riddled with errors. I want to prune the tree back to what I know has been researched properly - and then rebuild from there. Is there a way of deleting whole family lines without having to disconnect and delete one person at a time? I do have the old data backed up elsewhere.

Alternatively, can I select a chunk of accurate data and start a new file?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

dennisb

Use "Prune Minor Dynasties" to delete groups

Post by dennisb » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Hello,
Way back in version 2.394 the Prune Minor Dynasties and Unconnected People option was added with this explanation: " Removing Minor Dynasties - Added a new menu option People -> Prune Minor Dynasties. The Main Dynasty is the largest group of inter-connected people in the database. The remaining people may be inter-connected into smaller dynasties or may be stand alone unconnected people. The purpose of this function is to allow you to remove all the people other than those who belong to the Main Dynasty, which can assist you to "see the wood from the trees". It was originally created to assist people who have imported Gedcom files that contain large numbers of small dynasties. The database will be backed up before any people are deleted. The alternative (slower method) is to use menu option Gedcom Export -> Focal Person All Related People and then to reimport the Gedcom file into a new database."

While I've not used this feature yet myself, here's the procedure I'd suggest:
1. Backup your database ( File -> Backup Current Database)
2. Select the "connecting" person in the context diagram who connects to the parts of the tree that you wish to delete - by either searching for their name or double clicking on their name
3. Right click on that "connecting" person in the context diagram and select Disconnect to get the disconnect dialog that allows you to remove the undesired connections, so that now you'll have your main tree and at least one other tree that has one or more other people in it (i.e. "minor dynasties")
4. Prune (select People -> Prune Minor Dynasties and Unconnected People ) which reads your database, finding the main and minor dynasties, and allows you to select which minor dynasties and people you wish to remove

Best of luck,
Dennis

JAZ

Post by JAZ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:49 am

Hi Dennis, my apologies for not responding more quickly. The post went to an old email mailbox which is supposed to be forwarded on but obviously didn't. I only check it once in a blue moon to double-check.

I'll follow your advice and see what I can do.

Many thanks.

Jennifer