How do I split a data file - SOLVED!

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Kirsten

How do I split a data file - SOLVED!

Post by Kirsten » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 am

':lol:' After considerable and persistent thinking about the issue below, I have solved my problem!

I am posting the solution as separate "response" and leaving my original problem posting here:

I want to test splitting my data-file into two families. I studied two posts:
One from Keith WIlson Apr 16, 2008:
To create a Gedcom file that contains your wife and all her Relatives but excludes you and all your ancestors.

The other post by Warwick on Mar 20, 2011:
If you ever wish to have only one side of your database, (in order to send to someone else), the easiest way is to make a copy of the FtkSql file using finder, rename it then open it and use "Prune Minor Dynasties".

I first tried Keith's version as an experiment and I successfully created a Gedcom file of just one side of the family as intended.

I then tried Warwick's suggestion. Pruning Minor Dynasties didn't seem to be very easy to consider as a way to divide file into two families and making two datafiles (not Gedcoms.)

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:39 pm

Warwick's method worked well after ':oops:' I disconnected my parents from each other and one of them from the children.
It was then easy to proceed with deleting minor dynasties and ending with a copy of one side of the family.

Since I know I can split if I ever want to, I have decided to work in one file.