How do I find cousins?

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Paul

How do I find cousins?

Post by Paul » Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 am

Is there any way to list all people who are related in a specific way to the focal person or the root person, e.g. all second cousins, or all great-grandfathers?

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 am

The Relationships pane can be of assistance. For Example: Relatives Tab -> Tick Cousins.

So, The great Grandchildren of your Great Grandparents contain a subset of, (but not all of), your second cousins, your cousins and your siblings.

The relationships calculator can show you the consanguinity between any two people. (Useful for verifying that they are in fact 2nd cousins).

Alternately, if you create an active view of say Elizabeths ancestors, when you hover over any person in the tree it will show you the consanguinity as 'hover' text.

I think the only way currently to collect all second cousins would be to draw descendant diagrams (or reports) of all great grandparents then compare.

I'm not quite sure that was the answer you were looking for. Let me know.

Happy searching,
ww.

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue May 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Thanks, Warwick.

The relationships pane was helpful for me in this case, since I wanted to see all my second cousins. So I selected "great-grandchildren" for all 4 of my great-grandparents separately and got 4 separate listings; by eliminating the known first cousins and my siblings I was left with a list of all second cousins. I think that's right, and they all checked out using the hover text.

But you suggested that this might only yield a subset - are there any more and how do I get to them?

So, the method seems to have worked for me this time, but as you say it's not a general method if I want something more complicated. And I will be wanting a list of all my third cousins once removed at some point.

By the way, in the Relationships pane, pressing the Print button gave me an Excel spreadsheet rather than a printout. That was OK for me this time, but is this standard behaviour or is there an option somewhere to actually print?