Where is my iFamily Data

Frequently asked questions have been answered here
Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Where is my iFamily Data

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:29 pm

The iFamilyData folder

iFamily stores its' data in a folder called iFamilyData, which resides in your user home directory by default. The databases themselves end in a *.FtkSql file extension as shown in the screengrab below.

Use File->Open... from the iFamily Menus to access your data if it does not open automatically. If your data was in a non-standard place and you have forgotten where, use Spotlight to search your Mac for "FTreeDoc".
iFamilyDataFolder_Barebones.jpg
iFamilyDataFolder_Barebones.jpg (49.8 KiB) Viewed 17120 times
The Recent File list

Each time iFamily Opens, it reopens the file you were most recently using by consulting the apps' recent file list. You can see the contents and order of the recent file list either from the iFamily Menus or by right clicking your dock icon, (if you have dragged the app to the dock).
iFamily_dockRecent.png
iFamily_dockRecent.png (91.89 KiB) Viewed 15822 times
The top of the recent file list is the database you closed last, so when you exit iFamily ensure to close the royals window first, (leaving yours open), then quit iFamily. This will ensure only your database opens up the next time you use iFamily.

You may find after upgrading from iFamily for Leopard to iFamily for Mac that the recent file list went missing and the Royal Family Tree is opening each time. Do not worry, your data has not disappeared, it is just that the recent file list was begun again anew.

If you are having trouble that iFamily is trying to open a file that doesn't exist, you will may receive a Could not merge Changes Error. If this keeps occurring, you can delete the recent file list manually by following these instructions:

A) Close iFamily.
B) Open Finder: select Go->Go to Folder... from the menus and enter ~/Library/Preferences/
C) Delete the file called com.kswa.iFamilyForMac.LSSharedFileList.plist
D) Reopen iFamily.

or from within iFamily:
iFamily_ClearRecent.png
iFamily_ClearRecent.png (127.5 KiB) Viewed 15822 times
Attachments
iFamily_ClearRecent.png
iFamily_ClearRecent.png (127.5 KiB) Viewed 15823 times
iFamily_dockRecent.png
iFamily_dockRecent.png (91.89 KiB) Viewed 15823 times
iFamily_dockRecent.png
iFamily_dockRecent.png (91.88 KiB) Viewed 17120 times
iFamily_ClearRecent.png
iFamily_ClearRecent.png (127.49 KiB) Viewed 17120 times

Kathy LPV

Re: Where is my iFamily Data

Post by Kathy LPV » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:56 am

After I downloaded the latest iFamily version dmg, I decided to update to Sierra, from Lion. But I couldn't find my most recent folder! I followed the instructions below. At first, all I had put into iFamily from early Spring to Dec. wasn't there! All I could get was my old one [1,182 names], when my latest had 1,888, with a ton of notes, comments, & sources. I was panicking! ALL that work, gone. I actually had several "leafs" on my desktop, & dashboard at one point. Some clicks went to a "cannot open" w/ "send report" & a bunch of symbols & text for the geeks! I couldn't make heads or tails of any of it.

I wish I could tell others how I finally got the latest one, but I can't. I just kept on clicking on every possible leaf, or iFamily app, in every place on the computer. I even tried to go back into Time Machine, no luck, it was the older one. Somehow, I got to my most recent latest version, but when I did, I kept it on the desktop, till I knew I wouldn't loose it again.

Anyone who, now I don't have to add in all those names, dates, comments etc. All's well that ends well. & I Thank You Warwick for working on getting these updates out as soon as you can. No more problems, just an old one: our Lo isn't attached to rest - PINTO on a few. but I saved the instructions from the last time it happened.
Warwick, you're the best.
Kathy LPV