How do I find my ancestors?

Frequently asked questions have been answered here
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:03 am

If you are interested in tracing your ancestors and you want to write about them - and have just started your research - then please be careful - it is painstaking work and it can become obsessive.

If you like fine writing and want to understand how much effort is involved then you should read Searching for the Secret River by Kate Grenville which you can find at http://www.users.bigpond.com/kgrenville ... sftsr.html. You may also like to have a look at her web page on Making Stories.

Kate is a professional writer and historian so it makes sense for her to spend considerable time on her research. When you have finished reading Kate's book you may either want to jump in boots and all or you may decide that other things have higher priority in your life.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by gmd

Thanks for the recommendation, Keith.

I have just finished reading Kate's book 'Searching for the secret river' and found it to be an extraordinarily good and fascinating account of the family story writing process. I recommend it to anyone who can get their hands on it. Kate writes a very clear and thought provoking account of what it means to write a family story as opposed to stringing some facts together.

And yes, I'm jumping in boots and all.

Greg

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by thor0128

Now that sounds like a good read. I will pick it up and give it a go.