Correcting, updating website

General discussion on the Generation of HTML Web Pages
ChasPelham

Correcting, updating website

Post by ChasPelham » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:24 am

Newbie here to websites but on computers since much less gray hair; does generating web site and uploading after corrections and updates update the website automatically, or something more drastic? Do I delete the old database that's online (how?) and re-upload?
For your disgust and dismay:[url]file:///Users/charlespelham/iFamilyData/Reports/Pelham_Bowles_Paget_McGehee____1_WebPages_4/index.html[/url]

Thanks,
cp

Tom

RE: Correcting, updating website

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:25 am

Need a little more information with regard to what you are attempting to do; however, generating web pages in iFamily will give you a slew of html files which reflect any changes each time you generate the pages. Uploading to your server which hosts your web site is another matter but generally speaking you will have to replace the generated files on your server each time you generate updated files using iFamily. Depending on you ftp program, when you upload the files, you may be given the option to replace the files on the server with the newer files you are uploading. By the way, the link you included is to the file on your computer so there is no way for anyone to click on it and see it.
Tom

ChasPelham

Re: RE: Correcting, updating website

Post by ChasPelham » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:57 am

Hi Tom,

I think I understand that part now. (And I even gave that File//etc. to family; having to say "Duh" a lot.) Anyhow I'm using FileZilla and have successfully uploaded many files, but the resulting page is only showing 3 people. Do I just upload the whole Pelham_Bowles...etc__WebPages3 folder and stop? I can click mail, ftp, etc., and files start uploading, but I don't know what that is doing. Really feeling stupid here. I don't know enough even to express what I've already tried. And I feel sure that the order in which I upload each folder and file is important.

Right now I have just deleted everything except:

550 Could not delete pelhampagetmcgeheebowles.com: Permission denied
550 Could not delete ftp.pelhampagetmcgeheebowles.com-ftp_log: Permission denied

Ready to start from scratch, I think.

Thanks for the great reply.
charlie
Tom wrote:Need a little more information with regard to what you are attempting to do; however, generating web pages in iFamily will give you a slew of html files which reflect any changes each time you generate the pages. Uploading to your server which hosts your web site is another matter but generally speaking you will have to replace the generated files on your server each time you generate updated files using iFamily. Depending on you ftp program, when you upload the files, you may be given the option to replace the files on the server with the newer files you are uploading. By the way, the link you included is to the file on your computer so there is no way for anyone to click on it and see it.

ChasPelham

Post by ChasPelham » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:02 pm

I have the website online now. Plenty of questions later.....
Thanks,
cp