Embedding IFamily index page in EverWeb

General discussion on the Generation of HTML Web Pages
tkhan

Embedding IFamily index page in EverWeb

Post by tkhan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:17 pm

Using TextWrangler I copied the html code of the iFamily Index page generated through IFamily and embeded into an EverWeb page using an HTML widget.

The page appears as expected. The links within the page however are not working when I test the page using Preview in EverWeb. It is possible that it can't find the pages on the web and would only work when all of it is published.

Is this so, or do I need to do something else to make it work? I don't know much html coding just dabble occasionally.

Thanks

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Re: Embedding IFamily index page in EverWeb

Post by Warwick Wilson » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:37 am

tkhan wrote:I don't know much html coding just dabble occasionally.
I would describe myself the same way. I only really do HTML when I must. I am familiar with TextWrangler, but not Everweb. Is the test area on your local machine or on your webhost?

Have you completed the second step of teh iFamily webpage generation where you add the homepage url to the pageset? (Although, from your description it sound like it is the links on the index page which are erroneous.).

iFAmily uses relative links in it's pagesets. (except for the home page.). So if I want a file that is up 2 directories, I use the double dot to acsend. eg: <a href='../../index.html'>[Index]</a>. You can also descend once again once you have reached the root directory. eg: href='../../HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_01/P439.html'

It is also possible it is not the link from the index page which is broken, but rather the directory structure under the link.

I hope that above is enough. Can you post an example of one of the broken links for me here if it is not?

Thanks.

tkhan

Post by tkhan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi Warrick,

Thanks for your reply.

You are right. The link pages have to be in the same EverWeb directory. I have published it now and it all works fine.

http://www.khanskinfolk.com/family-name-index.html

I have a slightly different problem now. I would like the individual pages to link back to the above page. Unless I change the html pointer in each and every page, it is going to be an impossible task. At the moment if you click on any link in the page and then try to get back, it takes you to the home page - http://www.khanskinfolk.com/index.html.

EverWeb for some reason uses index.html for its own home page. I haven't figured out how to change it. But even then it would be of no use as the ifmaily index page is not the /family-name-index.html page where I want it to go.

It would be nice to have a feature whereby one can change where the index page points just as there is one for home page when generating html in ifamily. Perhaps something to think about or maybe you have a solution for me where I can change one page and it will filter down to all the others.

Finally, I was very saddened to hear about Keith. I learnt it when I was browsing for a solution on this forum. He wwas such a generous man. Hopefully his legacy will live on.

Best wishes

Tariq

tkhan

Post by tkhan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi Warwick,

Following my post earlier today, I had a little think about it and have come up with a workaround solution by using TextWrangler’s Multi-File Search under the Search menu.

First I tried it with just one page - Index_A.html - published it through Filezilla. Then tried with another page of person that sits in one of the HTML Folders. When I saw that they both worked, I changed the code using Multi-File Search by finding a code and replacing it with the other as follows:

Alphabetical Index original code:

<tr><td class='homeLine'><a href='index.html'>[Main Index]</a> <a href='index.html'>[Home]</a></td></tr>

Replace with:

<tr><td class='homeLine'><a href='http://www.khanskinfolk.com/family-name-index.html'>[Family Name Index]</a> <a href='index.html'>[Home]</a></td></tr>

Personal Page original code:

<a href='../../index.html'>[Index]</a>

Replace with:

<a href='../../family-name-index.html'>[Family Name Index]</a>

It worked perfectly. Took a bit of time the first time but now that I have it saved up with “Save Set” on the panel, it should be easier next time.

Many thanks again.

Tariq