Originally posted by Leanna
Hello. I love the ifamily software. I also want to use it to upload the information to my family website. I have created the website using iWeb. Which means that I know absolutely nothing about html. The website is hosted with godaddy.com. If someone out in cyberland could help walk (with baby steps) me through the process I would be very grateful.
Thanks...my website is www.windingstreets.com
General discussion on the Generation of HTML Web Pages
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hi LeannaLeanna wrote:Hello. I love the ifamily software. I also want to use it to upload the information to my family website. I have created the website using iWeb. Which means that I know absolutely nothing about html. The website is hosted with godaddy.com. If someone out in cyberland could help walk (with baby steps) me through the process I would be very grateful. Thanks...my website is www.windingstreets.com Leanna
Thanks for the email in which you say that you have the FTP Client called CyberDuck. This reply is tailored to your existing set-up and will be different for other people.
When you Generate HTML files then iFamily will create a set of web pages in a folder called something like Leanna /iFamilyData /Reports /FregiaFamily_WebPages_xx where xx is a number and Leanna is your Home folder on your Mac
Let's say the top level folder is called FregiaFamily_WebPages_08.
Within the folder FregiaFamily_WebPages_08 there is a file called index.html
- Step 1. Use TextEdit to open index.html and change the hyper-link for the [Home] page to point to your Home page on your server. In your case the hyper-link will look something like http://www.windingstreets.com/www.windi ... lcome.html. That is the URL that I got from your web site. In V2.430 there is a new menu option that will do this edit for you.
- Step 2. Use CyberDuck to upload the top level folder called FregiaFamily_WebPages_08 to your server. This may take some time if the folder contains a lot of files.
- Step 3. On your server password protect the folder that you have just uploaded.
- Step 4. Create a hyper-link from your Home Page into the iFamily file called index.html that looks something like http://www.windingstreets.com/FregiaFam ... index.html
- Step 5. Test it to make sure it all works.
If you have living (or recently dead) people in your web pages than you MUST password protect it.
Password protect the iFamily top level folder Fregia_WebPages_08. This will prevent people from accessing that folder plus anything contained within it.
Ask your ISP how to password protect a folder, it will be different on different servers.
Editing the Link from the iFamily index.html page to your Home Page
Note: Editing this link will be done for you in iFamily V2.5430 in the new menu option Prepare for Upload to Other Web Site
When iFamily generates web pages it does not know the name of your Home Page on your server.
iFamily creates a dummy " Home" link and calls it Home file name goes here
If you are using TextEdit then it may display the page as a web page or as plain text.
If TextEdit displays index.html as a web page then you can Right click on [Home] and then edit the hyper-link to be http://www.windingstreets.com/www.windi ... lcome.html
If TextEdit displays index.html as plain text then change the string Home file name goes here to be http://www.windingstreets.com/www.windi ... lcome.html. Note: the name of the hyper-link must have single or double quotes around it.
Editing the Link from your Home Page to the iFamily index.html page
You should have at least one hyper-link into the iFamily index.html file that looks something like http://www.windingstreets.com/FregiaFam ... index.html
You can have hyper-links into any other iFamily html page - for instance you can hyper-link from a picture of your grandfather direct to his iFamily web page. This link would look like
http://www.windingstreets.com/FregiaFam ... P2740/HTML
Let me know how you get on. I really am trying to make it simpler.