A few suggestions

General discussion on the Generation of HTML Web Pages
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

A few suggestions

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:52 am

Originally posted by curriouscat

I think this is yet another fantastic feature of this great product.

I've generated my html and as a trial uploaded it to my site (with 'living' turned off - good feature). I've got just over 9,000 names in that tree and uploading even the text version took 8 hours. I have a few suggestions.
  • There is need of a 'home' page to say what it about, give a guide to navigation and point to the indexes etc. Tribalpages has a good home page for this. I can send a pdf of one if you need it.
  • It needs a 'search' box to find people. If possible, this should be as smart as the search box at the top right of iFamily.
  • When publishing the updated tree, it would be great to just upload the changed pages (probably by size and name) rather than everything. I suppose this is also asking if you are developing an ftp agent or should we use a commercial one like Cyberduck?
  • Can you include in your help/manual/instructions something on how you decide if someone is 'living'. (A few of mine were excluded as living when I know that they are not.)
  • The link back to 'Index' from any page does not work - but I think you know this. Neither does the 'No family name' link
I like very much the 'Events' table and the 'Near Relatives' table.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

A few suggestions

curriouscat wrote:I think this is yet another fantastic feature of this great product.

I've generated my html and as a trial uploaded it to my site (with 'living' turned off - good feature). I've got just over 9,000 names in that tree and uploading even the text version took 8 hours. I have a few suggestions.
  • 1. There is need of a 'home' page to say what it about, give a guide to navigation and point to the indexes etc. Tribalpages has a good home page for this. I can send a pdf of one if you need it.

2. It needs a 'search' box to find people. If possible, this should be as smart as the search box at the top right of iFamily.

3. When publishing the updated tree, it would be great to just upload the changed pages (probably by size and name) rather than everything. I suppose this is also asking if you are developing an ftp agent or should we use a commercial one like Cyberduck?

4. Can you include in your help/manual/instructions something on how you decide if someone is 'living'. (A few of mine were excluded as living when I know that they are not.)

5. The link back to 'Index' from any page does not work - but I think you know this. Neither does the 'No family name' link
I like very much the 'Events' table and the 'Near Relatives' table.
Hi curious cat

1. The upload of web pages for 9000 people may be much quicker if you use the Table option rather than generating a JPEG image for each diagram. It is also much quicker if you do not upload the originals of the images

2. I will add the search box to the ToDo list. Please note that at the top of the first index page there is an alphabet index for first character of the family names.

3. Uploading part of a set of web pages will be part of menu option " Prepare for Upload"

4.The algorithm to decide if someone is living is quite complex if a person does not have a birth nor a death date. It needs to look at the births and deaths of spouses, children and parents and make a guess - if none of those have enough data to work on then it needs to look at the grandparents' and grandchildren's birth and death dates, ad infinitum. The simple solution, if you know that someone is dead, but have no idea of the date, is to enter Y for the death date.

5. The link to the index page and the No Family Name link both work on my machine (locally) and on my web site. Maybe on your web server the Index.html file name has had its case changed e.g. to index.html. Does changing the case of the filename fix the problem?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

A few suggestions

Originally posted by curriouscat

Hi Keith,
  • Er when I said text version, I meant that I had opted for the table version which was half the size of the JPEG version. So that was 8 hours for the 'table' version over a very high speed cable.
  • With more than 9,000 names, it needs a much smarter search than first character of family names.
  • I've thought a lot about this. When I'm working on my tree, entries for people change all over the place. I will need an ftp app that will automatically find changed pages. Everything about a person can change, including the person's name and dates. The only constant is the ID (which I see you are using as part of the file name). I think the ftp app would have to go through all IDs looking for a change of size and upload any with changes. As an aside, it would also have to delete any pages for which the ID no longer existed. Not a difficult ftp app, but purpose written.
  • I can no longer reproduce the problem with the link back to the Index page. Must be me. The No Family Name goes to this link Index_n.html#No%20Family%20Name Note the lower case _N which fails on my server which might be more sensitive than yours. :) If I change the _n to _N it finds a page but not the hundreds of people, usually women, with no family name.

clive boyce

Re: A few suggestions

Post by clive boyce » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 pm

curriouscat wrote : There is need of a &#39home&#39 page to say what it is about, give a guide to navigation and point to the indexes etc. Tribalpages has a good home page for this. I can send a pdf of one if you need it.

Has there been any progress on this? I would also much appreciate a &#39home page&#39 Can anyone point me in the right direction?