Webpage

General discussion on the Generation of HTML Web Pages
KatiMahaki

Webpage

Post by KatiMahaki » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:19 am

I luv this program but still know very little only get to tinker now & then. However I have 1239 names listed & family members are asking for me to put it online.......& I have no idea how.....so my question is how do I do this starting with Step 1....what is step one!!!!!!.....I have read most posts which appear to be from people that have some knowledge.....I have non.

I need simple step by step instructions from A to Z My thanks to all

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:24 am

KatiMahaki wrote:I need simple step by step instructions from A to Z
The first Step will be exporting the HTML pages, please use Reports -> Publish HTML Webpages -> Generate HTML... to create some pages on your local machine and familiarize yourself with the options available at this step.

The generated webpages will be contined in the folder ~/iFamilyData/Reports/*****_WebPages where ***** is the name of your database file.

I will place a topic in the Missing Manual Section with more steps shortly.

Thanks,
Warwick.

KatiMahaki

Post by KatiMahaki » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks for that Warwick, I will have a play

Oscar

Dummy's Guide to Web Posting?

Post by Oscar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:20 pm

I am also looking for the next couple of steps. I have generated the web pages through iFamily and have viewed them on my computer.

Now i need to get myself a website. In my work life I use FileZilla to post large files on ftp sites , so that step is not new to me.

So is it just a matter of using FileZilla to upload the generated webpages? Or are there other steps?

thanks in Advance.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Once you have ftp`d all the files in the generated pageset, you will only need to create a home page which points/links to the index.html file in the root directory.

From index.html all the ifamily generated pages are internally referenced, (they use the ../../.. notation to move back up to the head directory, then from there on down to reference other identities pages and thumbnail images.).

The only link in the pageset that does not have internal referencing is for the homepage you have created elsewhere, (for example with iWeb). This web address can currently be set using the iFamily menu option only after you have generated the pageset.

Here is a good example of the kind of home page you can create by tailoring the links or rewriting the index.html file, although in this case a few link referneces are in fact a little broken. (Thank you to the author for their enthusiasm, it makes an easy google for me :) )

This is another good exmaple using frames to navigate through the pageset. Note that Henning has included the inconsistency report generated by iFamily as a pdf link which is not part of the original pageset.

iFamily generates basic HTML that is easily modifiable by our customers, as each customer will always want something a little different we aim to give a good start. I will be endeavouring to update the available formats over the coming year.

As always, when you see something you like on someone elses webpage, right click and choose ¨View Source¨or similar to reproduce their style. It´s always easier with a worked example.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Warwick:

thanks for the prompt response. Let me see if I have the steps correct:

1. create html pages in iFamily
2. upload html pages to ftp site
3. create home page using iWeb
4. upload iWeb home page
5. link the iWeb home page to the pageset (i lost it here, how is the linkage made?)

Thanks

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:12 am

Oscar wrote:Warwick:

thanks for the prompt response. Let me see if I have the steps correct:

1. create html pages in iFamily
2. upload html pages to ftp site
3. create home page using iWeb
4. upload iWeb home page
5. link the iWeb home page to the pageset (i lost it here, how is the linkage made?)

Thanks
Actually I had success loading the html pages first time. Now I will see if I can figure out how to link to a iWeb generated page.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:28 am

Oscar wrote:5. link the iWeb home page to the pageset (i lost it here, how is the linkage made?)
It may be a little late, but i noticed you logged in today so here is a how to by example.

Assuming the homepage you produced with iWeb is the last one you upload, be sure to include a link to the iFamily pages you have previously uploaded. My upload of the iFamily generated ROYAL_92 pages has its' index.html page situated here: http://www.ifamilyformac.com/royal_92/index.html

Any web browser, when given an url address, will always look for a file called index.html in that addesses' directory - if it is not a legitimate page in and of itself. On your home page you can link to: http://www.ifamilyformac.com/royal_92

where the folder royal_92 contains all the files generated by iFamily, and transferred via ftp with iFamily by FileZilla or similar. (Upon initial generation by iFamily the folder was called ROYAL_92_WebPages_17 in the iFamilyData/Reports directory - renaming it before upload just makes the url much simpler, cosmetically speaking.).

So on my "homepage", (in this case my homepage is a member of a set), i have placed the hmtl code snippet:

Code: Select all

<A HREF='http://www.ifamilyformac.com/royal_92'><div class='button_item'>See the index page</div></A>
The button item in this case is not necessary for your homepage, it refers to a preset formatting option in my css file for the website.

I have placed a tutorial in the following location so you can view it in action:
http://ifamilyformac.com/tutorials/html.php

This tutorial is overly wordy still and requires some attention on my part. It is also subject to change as i implement the suggestions as part of an update due in part to the standing enhancement requests.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks for the note Warwick. I have been using the simplified version of the html generator built in to the software. For those of us who do not want to muddle with websites it works quite well.

But I will follow your steps and the tutorial as well.

I see the that the software still takes us to your "old" website. When does the new website become "live"?