Hosting the HTML pages

General discussion on the Generation of HTML Web Pages
mtpaper

Hosting the HTML pages

Post by mtpaper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Hello -
I have my HTML files generated, and they work fine from my harddrive.

I can also successfully burn them to a CD.

What I am trying to do is upload them to a site which hosts files (such as googledocs, 4shared, dropbox), and then, from my website, link to the INDEX.HTML file, and then have all the other files be activated normally, based on the INDEX.HTML file.

I can get the index.html file to open, but none of the links to the other files work (I get a 403 error message)

My primary url and site is hosted by GoDaddy; I do not want to have hosting space there for files as it will cost money. The other services have free storage for html files.

Any suggestions?
Thanks and happy new year -
Marion
Marion in NY

nfcarrier

403 error message

Post by nfcarrier » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:23 pm

What you're trying to do will not work.
I'd suggest that you put your index.html with all your other ifamily generated files at (googledocs, 4shared, or dropbox) and create a link on your godaddy site and point it to go to your index.html

mtpaper

Post by mtpaper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Hello @nfcarrier

I do have all the index.html file and all the other html files at googledocs, dropbox etc.

From my godaddy site, I link to the index.html file. That's fine. It opens properly.

BUT - > when I then click anything from the index to go to another page, I get the 403 error message.
Marion in NY

nfcarrier

index problem

Post by nfcarrier » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:22 pm

could you give me a link to your site so I could take a look at it.

mtpaper

Post by mtpaper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:39 pm

@nfcarrier
Thank you for your offer of assistance; I sent you a pm with my email and site address
Marion in NY

mtpaper

progress

Post by mtpaper » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Ok - I have hosting space via iPage, and I loaded the files via FileZilla's FTP. It's great.

Ran into one complication.

When the images were being transferred (and I had iFamily set to only transfer a thumbnail, and only of the focus person), my FTP kept saying that there were duplicate files.... now, when I look at the folders on my FileManager at my server, I see that they were all loaded, with 0bytes....)

so, basically, none of them were transferred properly

Have any of you had trouble getting the images to transfer?

EDIT: THis must have been related to my husband's firewall setting. It's all working now.
Marion in NY