Large uploads to Mobile Me

General discussion on the Generation of HTML Web Pages
curriouscat

Large uploads to Mobile Me

Post by curriouscat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:40 am

I have a large tree of 31,000 people. I am extremely impressed with the Reports->generate html facility iFamily. I gives such beautiful clean, easy to use pages.

However, those 31,000 people mean a lot of pages and folders for iFamily to upload to Mobile Me. (Just over 1 Gig and 50,500 items.) If I don't intervene, iFamily fails to load all items - it just stops.

I have to do the following:
1. Use Safari to sign it to Mobile Me and delete all folders - delete in batches of about 20 folders within HTML, Thumbnails and Diagrams. Delete all the index files and the css file. At the end of this step, you should have an empty root folder your_tree. There should be a small counter at the bottom left hand side of Safari for the folders being deleted. Keep the Safari page open and active. Don't put another task on top of it. Don't do anything else. This step takes a lot of computing. (This is 100 times faster than deleting the files using iDisk in your Finder - I've tested it.)
2. Make any changes to each HTML page using Dreamweaver or a similar bulk change application.
3. Use iFamily Reports->Upload to Mobile Me for a full load, use the set up in iFamily to load to the correct place. (This takes about 13 hours.) Check that is complete and all folders have in them what they should.
4. If step 3 fails or for a partial load: Use Cyberduck (or similar) to upload using ftp/Webdav. Do this in batches of about 10 folders at a time. Run up to 20 batches at once.

It takes me a day to upload my site. The method above is the fastest and only way that it will work. If I don't do step 1, step 3 does not work.

I hope this helps. iFamily is great.

You can see my site here
http://www.bellsite.id.au/gdbtree/index.html

Regards,
Curriouscat

nfcarrier

mobleme

Post by nfcarrier » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:26 pm

I assume your paying for Mobile Me and they still put ads on your site?

curriouscat

Post by curriouscat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:29 pm

As far as I know, you cannot use Mobile Me without paying for it. I pay AUD $119 per year for 20GB of storage. I cannot get that level of storage elsewhere.

Mobile Me has never put ads on my site. Where would you have got that idea from? :?

nfcarrier

Mobile Me ads

Post by nfcarrier » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Surfing your tree I see adds for Ancestry.com and from Google.

Ancestry.com - Genealogy World's largest online family history resource.+6 billion records Ancestry.com
Bell Family Find Your Family Tree In The Worlds Largest Family Tree. Free Trial! www.OneGreatFamily.com
UK Census 1841-1901 Freely Search the UK census Find your ancestors fast www.UKcensusOnline.com

Ads by Google

curriouscat

Post by curriouscat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Er, I put the ads there. Not that they earn me any cash. Probably just annoy everyone.

I use Dreamweaver to add the Google Ad block at the top and a contact e-mail into the footer. That was my step 2.

I've added the e-mail contact info because this huge tree has about 3-400 hits per day. About 2-4 a week find a way to contact me to ask questions or provide more information. (So far, three could not find a way to contact me and sent a message to Warwick - who forwarded them to me.) As a result of the e-mail contacts, I've found many new relations and extended my tree even further. Having the tree on Mobile Me has vastly increased the number of people who can find me. (I have essentially exactly the same tree on Ancestry - and I have about the same number of contacts through Ancestry.)

Regards,
Curriouscat