Web Page confusion

General discussion on the Generation of HTML Web Pages
Dayna

Web Page confusion

Post by Dayna » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:20 am

Let me preface this by saying that I know nothing about html and generated my web pages using iWeb. I finally was able to upload to my Rootsweb website my iFamily webpages (Kinard_family_tmg_WebPages_12) onto the index page of my website: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... rd/kinard/
but I have no idea how to get these to display on my website (home page of website:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /Home.html
In plain English, can someone tell me what to do?
(I've temporarily resorted to placeholder charts generated by other software, but I'd really like to use the elegant iFamily files).
Thank you.
Dayna

Dayna

Still can't get iFamily generated pages to display

Post by Dayna » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:53 am

I have a link on my website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /Home.html)
to the index.html file of my iFamily generated web pages. The table of names display, but the hyperlinks do not work (although they did work before I uploaded them). I don't understand what I did wrong.

Dayna

Tom

RE: Web Page confusion

Post by Tom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 pm

It appears as if you haven't taken the second step after generating HTML for your web site which is "Preparing HTML files for upload to other web site". Once you do that, you should be able to navigate your iFamily web pages.
Tom

Dayna

Started again from scratch: same result

Post by Dayna » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:02 pm

I thought I had gone through the steps for "Prepare for Upload to Other Website" but, just in case, I started all over again and made sure to highlight the web pages version I wanted and to change the index.html "home" to point to my home page. I tested the link to my iFamily generated web pages and the index.html file on my computer and it worked (i.e., I could click through to the individual webpages on family members). Then, using Fetch, I uploaded the iFamily generated folder (xxxx_family_tmg_WebPages_xx) to my Rootsweb freepages website (entering the ftp address, user name, and password.) Rootsweb put the iFamily folder in my genealogy_html directory, which is the same directory that contains the folder for my other web site pages, including home page.

However, the iFamily index.html, now uploaded on Rootsweb, does not work properly. The links to individual files don't work. It looks like everything was uploaded to my website.

While my website's home page correctly links to the iFamily webpages index.html, clicking on the names in index.html goes nowhere.

I still have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Dayna

Tom

RE: Started again from scratch: same result

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm unclear how you are actually uploading your web pages to your site. When I look at the paths for the name page on your site they refer to the paths specifically on your Mac. A folder such as TheNameOfYourIfamilyFile_WebPages should be found in the Reports folder after you have completed the Generate HTML processes and that is the folder which you should upload to your providers server. On your web site link to the "Index.html" file in that uploaded folder. All of iFamily's referencing is internal to that folder.
Here is a line of source code on your site at the Names page for the surname ALBERT. The path is referring to the location on your Mac and not the relative path needed for navigation on your web site, that is most of the work is done using the "HTMLFiles" folder which is in your iFamilyFile Webpages folder.
<a href="file:///Users/daynashah/iFamilyData/Reports/Kinard_family_tmg_WebPages_17/index_A.html#ALBERT">ALBERT</a

I have probably really made this clear as mud. I'm sure Warwick can help, in fact, I believe he has a tutorial posted regarding generating HTML and uploading to a web site.
Tom

Dayna

Post by Dayna » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Ahh, Tom, what you observed may relate to what I see when I click on "Prepare for Upload to Other Website". The dialogue box which pops up asks me to select the iFamily Web Site Folder, then to "enter the URL address of the Home Page of your server". So I entered:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /home.html
Then clicking on "Edit the link for [Home] in the Index Web Page", I see: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /home.html
When I click "OK" a second string appears:indexFilename = /Users/daynashah/iFamilyData/Reports/Kinard_family_tmg_WebPages_17/index.html
Is this correct?
When I go to index.html of my Web Pages, under iFamilyData/Reports/Kinard_family_tmg_WebPages_17, using TextEdit, it shows my website under [Home] and under ALBERT in the names table it shows: file:///Users/daynashah/iFamilyData/Reports/Kinard_family_tmg_WebPages_17/index_A.html#ALBERT
THUS, IT MATCHES WHAT YOU SAW ON MY WEBSITE. Is this not what it should be?
I just generated WebPages 18 to see if I would get a different result, but it essentially mirrors what I described for #17.
HELP.

Tom

RE: Web Page confusion

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:50 pm

First of all Home.html is a file not the directory on your server. Omit home.html when you are putting in the URL of your web site.
I click "OK" a second string appears:indexFilename = /Users/daynashah/iFamilyData/Reports/Kinard_family_tmg_WebPages_17/index.html
Is this correct?
Yes, this just tells you what and where your index.html file for the web pages generated by iFamily is located on your Mac.

Upload the "/Kinard_family_tmg_WebPages_17" folder to your server at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ard/kinard

Then add a link to the index.html file which is in the /Kinard_family_tmg_WebPages_17 folder in your home.html file.
Tom

Dayna

Post by Dayna » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:17 am

Thank you, Tom, for the detailed instructions. That was what I needed. I still cannot get the name chart on my website to be dynamic. But I discovered that I can get around this by linking directly to the alphabet index files (e.g., index_D.html). These links to the iFamily generated pages do work.

Now I can get back to genealogy, which I understand a little better than the mysterious art of webpages.

Thanks again.
Dayna

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Daayna:

The index.html file should contain references to surnames such as this once you have generated the html files

<td><a hRef='index_B.html#BROWN' >BROWN</a></td>

Which points to the alphabetical index files. Your index.html file does not have the above references but ones referencing local files on your Mac. So, editing your home.html file to reference your index.html file should clear things up once you have a properly generated index.html file. Instead of this in your index.html file

<a href="file:///Users/daynashah/iFamilyData/Reports/Kinard_family_tmg_WebPages_16/index_W.html#WHYE">WHYE</a>

you should have this

<a href='index_W.html#WHYE">WHYE</a>

I haven't been able to duplicate the problem you have in your index.html file.
Tom

Dayna

Update

Post by Dayna » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:48 am

I cleaned up my database by capitalizing all surnames, generated a new set of web pages, and uploaded it to my web site, this time using Cyberduck. It works! The links from the surname table now all work. I have no idea why it didn't work before, but now it does, but consider it a July 4 gift.

Thank you, Tom, for your patient help.
Dayna