Google responds with zero Lat/Long

Discussion on the use of the Google Maps interface
BrianPeaker

Google responds with zero Lat/Long

Post by BrianPeaker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:16 am

For a long time I have had an ambition to track my ancestors' movements or at least see duplicate Givennames in the same area, maybe by using Google maps or Google Earth layers. Is the interface to Google maps going to be fixed so that it returns proper Lat/Long values?
Brian Peaker

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Re: Google responds with zero Lat/Long

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:57 am

Hi Brain,

The Zero lat/long Problem should be solved in the next version. Since this module was first written the URL from maps.google.com had changed syntax. I have corrected how it is parsed but am seeing many other improvements that could be made here.

ww.

Myriam D

Post by Myriam D » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:47 pm

I am now using 2.9.8 on a MacBook Pro with Catalina. Now finally able to retrieve latitude and longitude which I could not with my iMac and older system. Still thousands of places to get their coordinates. Days of work.
Still getting a crash when trying to have a report of changes.
Doubt is what makes me tick

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:28 pm

Are you selecting Report->Database Changes report... from the menus when you encounter the crash? I had a try at recreating the problem but it just said 'no changes in the past day' for me. [Added a number formatter to the birthdate column do it doesn't say 1,977]

My plan is to replace the google map functionality with open street map at some point. Any work you do placing events will be migrated forward when the time comes, (I'll make it seamless.).