Option to turn off spellcheck

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
terra_linda

Option to turn off spellcheck

Post by terra_linda » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:51 pm

I've begun adding transcriptions of church book entries to the event notes in my database. Many of the records I work with aren't in English (usually Latin or German), and the older ones reflect the less rigid spelling standards of their time, which I prefer to record as they were written.

But I'm constantly having to check the text I've typed two or three times to make sure that the automated spellcheck isn't "correcting" text I want left alone. (For example, spellcheck often - but not consistently! - changes the Latin word "uxor" to "Luxor.") I've also run into instances where I could swear that what I've typed has been initially left unaltered, but then I come back to it later to find that a "correction" has been made, and I have to look up the original text again to fix things.

I'm sure spellcheck is useful for a lot of folks - it's occasionally caught my own English typos! But I don't need that often enough to outweigh the hassle of constantly checking non-English text for unwanted changes.

If there's already a way to disable this feature and I've just missed it, I'd be grateful if someone could clue me in. Thanks!

NigelRichman

Re: Option to turn off spellcheck

Post by NigelRichman » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:33 pm

Hi,

It can be disabled in System Preferences as a system wide change. It is under Keyboard - Text Input

You can search for Spell Check in System Preferences to find the right sub section if the above does not lead you to the right place in the version of macOS you are using.

I don't think there is a way to turn it off on an app by app basis.

Hope that helps,

Nigel