Source Reference Images

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Rhys

Source Reference Images

Post by Rhys » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Are there any plans to include the ability to add images to a source reference for an event? For example, I would like to include the US 1910 Census only once as a source, but attach the census page associated with a particular census event to the reference. Right now, it seems that if I want to store all of the census page images in iFamily, I need to have one source per image.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi Rhys,

I do not believe it is the intention of the image in a source to be used for the Source Citations (the individual reference for an event).

The Question mark in the Add/Edit source dialogue has the following text:

This image is intended to be a picture of the Source itself, not the contents of the Source (unless it is a single page document). Each Source may only have one image.

There is no way to add am image to a Citation. You can, however, add an image to the Person in the 'Picture' pane.

Nigel

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks Nigel. That's unfortunate. I've been evaluating four different Mac Genealogy packages for the past year, and this is the only significant shortcoming I find with iFamily (for me, of course). Adding an image to a citation is something that all the other three allow.

However, the iFamily strengths still outweigh this weakness. I'll probably just keep the citation images on my hard drive to avoid using sources incorrectly or cluttering up my person pictures.

Reggi

Post by Reggi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi

Opps! Being using this facility for sometime now!
Must be doing something wrong? I rely on images of full
census scans to give me rapid access to the 'true' source data.
If the 'image' is more than a single sheet then iFamily
shows only the top sheet, but the rest can quickly be viewed
using preview etc.
Can see no problem

Ray

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm

Ray,

Where are you storing these pictures? I know I can store multiple images under the 'Pictures' tab, but I was trying to attach them either to the Source or the Source Citation (reference) on an event. I can only get one to save to the source, and none to save to the citation.

What I would like is to have a source referenced once and have the option to save a picture of the particular page that provides some sort of evidence for an event. For example, I have a book of local history (source) that talks about my ancestors on several pages (reference). I would like to save an image of the page being referenced on the event described on the page. The same would be true for various census pages.

Thanks for you help,

- Rhys

Reggi

Post by Reggi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Rhys

What you describe is exactly, or seems so, what I've been doing since I started to use iFamily!?

A lot of my 'sources' are Census scans and Newspaper or Books - many sourced via Ancestry or the various archives like Archive.org & Google.
I save these as pdf or jpeg files and then to have them readily available enter them in the "The Source Picture or PDF file" window on the iFamily main source dialog - A/S drop down menu.

I do not use all the facilities of the source dialog which is very comprehensive.

When viewing "Events" the "Sources" column displays all the sources you have added as above, and they can be viewed in the "EDIT" window. iFamily can open the pdf files, but only the first page. If you have more pages then use the option of opening them in Preview etc.

One criticism I have is that iFamily doesn't seem to understand text files - although strictly speaking they are not images. However they can be opened by choosing Text Edit in the context menu. It would be preferable in my opinion if iFamily could do this automatically. One can always store text files as pdf which is my usual way of doing things - everything understands a pdf!

Ray