Increase character limit in source field?

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
BillW

Increase character limit in source field?

Post by BillW » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:39 pm

Could the number of allowed characters in a source field be increased? I sometimes get a message saying that the limit is 248 (I think...), whereupon everything beyond that is chopped off. There appears to be no character limit in the Notes field, though, and I have to repeat the source information there if I want to keep it.

BillW

Re: Increase character limit in source field?

Post by BillW » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 pm

This is not a reply to my own message, but a clarification: the 248-character limit appears in the PageRef field. I don't run into it in any other field. Can the character limit be increased to whatever the limit in the Notes field is? I've never run out of room in Notes.

BillW

Re: Increase character limit in source field?

Post by BillW » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:33 pm

I really should have thought this all the way through before starting the first post in this series, but I have to add that the warning appears and the entry is truncated only when I have entered the information and then go back to it and try to edit it. The information is accepted when first entered, usually by copying and pasting (e.g., from Find A Grave or Ancestry.com). When I click anywhere in the field on reopening the entry, the warning pops up, and there is no way to cancel the truncation.