Option for OCTI changed into OCCU when exporting GEDCOM

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Myriam D

Option for OCTI changed into OCCU when exporting GEDCOM

Post by Myriam D » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:39 am

OCTI does not get imported into other applications via GEDCOM.
What is the best way to get it done?
Doubt is what makes me tick

NigelRichman

Re: Option for OCTI changed into OCCU when exporting GEDCOM

Post by NigelRichman » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:16 pm

Hi,

Events for Occupation do use the OCCU format though I am not sure it is correct with the TYPE field being used for the actual occupation.

_OCTI seems to be generated (in my exports at least) where a title has been added in the Person Tab.

If I create a Title (Sir, Baron etc) as an event using TITL then it is exported correctly though I do find some _OCTI generated from the Person notes where I have put an Occupation.

I believe that the export needs an overhaul to comply with the later GEDCOM standards rather than version 5.5 that is currently used.

Versions 5.5.1 was released some time ago and version 7.x seems to be around though from a different organisation.

On your specific question, it depends on what info is using the _OCTI event type.

If it is just Occupation then are you using the Event type 'OCCU' or just the Description field in the Person tab?

I have used a text editor (Smultron is my favourite) to correct the OCCU event type into the correct format so you could try that approach.

Depending what is in your export it may be as simple as replacing _OCTI with OCCU.

If you can provide some examples of the _OCTI output I may be able to suggest other option.

Regards,

Nigel