Merge custom tags

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Merge custom tags

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:24 am

Originally posted by nakedbear

How about and advanced setting to allow the user to merge custom tags from one program to the standards of ifamily. For example I have one program that creates a tag DCAUSE for cause of death, it would be great if we could map that to CAUS on import.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Merge custom tags

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:28 pm

nakedbear wrote:How about and advanced setting to allow the user to merge custom tags from one program to the standards of ifamily. For example I have one program that creates a tag DCAUSE for cause of death, it would be great if we could map that to CAUS on import.
Hi Scott

Please email me a copy of the Gedcom file.

If necessary. it may be simpler to build a few lines of code into the Gedcom Load function - and that way everyone else will get the benefit of it as well.

My research indicates that the _DCAUSE tag appears to emanate for FTM 2008. It also appears that it is a sub-record of the INDI record so simply changing it to CAUS will not work because the CAUS tag must be a sub-record of the EVENT_DETAIL record. In all the cases that I found the Gedcom files contained both the _DCAUSE record and the CAUS record, with the same value for each, so it may be that you can simply ignore the _DCAUSE record.

But I can only really tell you what to do after I have inspected the Gedcom file.

Keith