Add html code to every page of HTML created

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:41 pm

Originally posted by hib

Keith,

I really appreciate the HTML generation capability of iFamily. I am guessing that I am not alone in having other web pages related to genealogy. I would like to be able to point viewers of my iFamily pages to those. Could you add one more option (to the already long list available) where the user could provide html code that he/she would like to appear on every page just above your footer that you (optionally) add?

I envision adding something like

'For more information, you can go to my a href=" http://mydomain/mypath" website /a .'

or something similar. Since it would be at the bottom of the page, you don't really need to worry too much about it being properly formed html since the page will generate from the top down. The worst that would happen for improperly code would that the submitted text would just be displayed verbatim. However, most people would avoid using this option if they did not know html, but those who do know html and want to point to another place would find it advantageous.

Thanks for your consideration.

Al

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:57 pm

Originally posted by msetrem

If you want to do this now you can easily do it with the free text editor JEdit http://www.jedit.org/

This has a " Search in Directory" (under Search) which allows you to do a search and replace on all files that match a filter in a directory. It comes in very useful at times!

So for example you can search for " br br br br hr center Created on a Mac" in all .html files

replace with
" For more information, you can go to my a href=" http://mydomain/mypath" website /a br br br br hr center Created on a Mac"

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:29 am

hib wrote:Keith,

I really appreciate the HTML generation capability of iFamily. I am guessing that I am not alone in having other web pages related to genealogy. I would like to be able to point viewers of my iFamily pages to those. Could you add one more option (to the already long list available) where the user could provide html code that he/she would like to appear on every page just above your footer that you (optionally) add?

I envision adding something like

'For more information, you can go to my a href=" http://mydomain/mypath" website /a .'

or something similar. Since it would be at the bottom of the page, you don't really need to worry too much about it being properly formed html since the page will generate from the top down. The worst that would happen for improperly code would that the submitted text would just be displayed verbatim. However, most people would avoid using this option if they did not know html, but those who do know html and want to point to another place would find it advantageous.

Thanks for your consideration.

Al
Hi Al,

1. Pressing the [Home] link on any iFamily web page will take you back to the main index from where the [Home] link will take you back to the [Home] page of your web site. When you upload the HTML files to MobileMe then iFamily will automatically change the [Home] link on the main index page to point to the Home page on your web site. You could then add extra hyper-links on your own Home page to point to anywhere. The Home page hyper-link is also inserted in the main index file when you use " Prepare for Upload to Other Web Site" .

2. In iFamily for iPhone there is a button that is currently called " Email To" that invokes a " mailto:" . This button allows the user to email the reference to the web page to any friend or relative who may be interested. It also allows the user to add a Comment to that email - the friend or relative could of course be you - so that way you can get feedback when people see that data is missing or incorrect.

3. The latest version of the HTML Web pages have additional information embedded in the HEAD record that is automatically added to the (iPhone) email so that the iFamily database record can be instantly recognised for subsequent updating of the master database. Since you already have iFamily V2.454 you can look at the HEAD record and see what it now contains - it is within the comment !-- ... -- .

I have not allowed the user to add an email address (mailto: ) to the bottom of every web page because that would invite lots of unwanted spam. We need to be somewhat cautious with this one.

Keith