Strengthen Toolbar Search

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Originally posted by jillaine smith

I use the toolbar search constantly to find and move to specific records. In my large file that is documenting an entire German town where there are a gazillion repeats of such names as Anna Maria Schlenker, I need to look for the birth or death year (usually the birth year) to distinguish between them.

Therefore, I would very much like it if lists of duplicate names were sub-sorted by birth year (or add the birth year column so I can sort by it). Right now, I have to visually scan a LONG list of out-of-order Anna Maria Schlenkers to find my girl born in 1703.

Thanks!

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:22 pm

jillaine smith wrote:I use the toolbar search constantly to find and move to specific records. In my large file that is documenting an entire German town where there are a gazillion repeats of such names as Anna Maria Schlenker, I need to look for the birth or death year (usually the birth year) to distinguish between them.

Therefore, I would very much like it if lists of duplicate names were sub-sorted by birth year (or add the birth year column so I can sort by it). Right now, I have to visually scan a LONG list of out-of-order Anna Maria Schlenkers to find my girl born in 1703. Thanks! -- Jillaine
Hi Jillaine

I think it already does what you need.

When you use the Search field on the toolbar:
  • 1. The default sort is by name only - for speed on large databases - because it does an immediate search when you enter each character.
  • 2. If you click on the column header the sort is done by Name + BirthYear + DeathYear
  • 3. You can also search on Birth Year - this may be quicker than searching on Name or " Name and Title" .
To change the search option click on the Q and select an option from the drop down list.

Note: If you type slowly it searches each time you add another character, but it waits a few milliseconds to see if you are going to type another character before it actually starts the search.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:47 am

Originally posted by jillaine smith

If you click on the column header the sort is done by Name + BirthYear + DeathYear

WHO KNEW??? Wow. Great. Thanks.

Keith, you have so many great functions that are hidden/undoc'd... it's wild, really.

I'm glad I can do what I need.
I'd sure love it if I could control the default search, though, so I didn't have to take that extra step. I realize that clicking on a column header is just one more click, but given how much I use search this way (like 99.7% of the time), it would make a difference.

But at least I can get what I want with an extra click.

Thanks!

-- Jillaine