Saving csv delineated file

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:10 pm

Originally posted by Alid62

Tiger 10.4.11, iFamily FL 2.425

Hi Keith, having a fascinating time working on my tree in iFamily - I've been parked in GeditCom a long time waiting for this, whole new lease of life!

One thing I'd really like to be able to do is save out selected data in CSV format to check in a spread sheet. I know I can get place name related stuff out that way via " Event Places" (which has been brilliant for checking that I've used the same format for the same names for example) and people data via the Index, but what I'm seeing in my minds eye is a table with all people down the LHS, events (always including birth and death) across the top and either event name (or preferably the location) in the cells, with the ability to choose which event types get included. What I'm trying to check primarily at the moment is whether I have census entries for those who should have them, but it would also provide an easy way to track en masse who's gone where. Years ago, when the tree was much smaller I did this manually and it was very useful, now it's so much larger that's too daunting a task to embark on.

Regards

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:20 am

Alid62 wrote:Tiger 10.4.11, iFamily FL 2.425

Hi Keith, having a fascinating time working on my tree in iFamily - I've been parked in GeditCom a long time waiting for this, whole new lease of life!

One thing I'd really like to be able to do is save out selected data in CSV format to check in a spread sheet. I know I can get place name related stuff out that way via " Event Places" (which has been brilliant for checking that I've used the same format for the same names for example) and people data via the Index, but what I'm seeing in my minds eye is a table with all people down the LHS, events (always including birth and death) across the top and either event name (or preferably the location) in the cells, with the ability to choose which event types get included. What I'm trying to check primarily at the moment is whether I have census entries for those who should have them, but it would also provide an easy way to track en masse who's gone where. Years ago, when the tree was much smaller I did this manually and it was very useful, now it's so much larger that's too daunting a task to embark on. Regards
Sounds like a useful report. I will let you know when I have something done.

I assume that you have also tried Reports - Data Inconsistency Report - which does other things from what you requested.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:00 am

Originally posted by Alid62

Thanks for the quick response (one of the things I really like about how you do this).

I've thought about it a bit more and a simpler alternative might be people down the left, event type along the top and year in the cells (or year along the top and event type in the cells)? It wouldn't tell you where they were but would show whether you had an entry for that person in that category and when.

Regards

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:48 pm

Alid62 wrote:Thanks for the quick response (one of the things I really like about how you do this).

I've thought about it a bit more and a simpler alternative might be people down the left, event type along the top and year in the cells (or year along the top and event type in the cells)? It wouldn't tell you where they were but would show whether you had an entry for that person in that category and when.

Regards
Hi Alison

In V2.435 I have added a new menu option called Events - Events by Subtype. I tried various ways of exporting it all as a CSV file to a spreadsheet but could not find a solution that I was happy with. The new onscreen function has a filter for people (a name search) and allows you to select the Event Subtype that you are interested in. There is a switch to display all people who do NOT have that event subtype. So if you are looking for Alisons who were never Christened then it should work fine. It depends a bit on which " missing events" you are looking for and how you know that you have found one. I have emailed you V2.435 and would be pleased if you could help me refine it to provide whatever it is that will make your search for missing events easier.

For finding out " who's gone where" I suggest that you search on Emigration and Immigration events - or something like that - or maybe Burial and Cremation events since that's where most of my ancestors ended up.

Keith