Relationships

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Relationships

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:02 pm

Originally posted by Stacey Horne

I don't see a way to indicate that a couple was never married or commonlaw. can this be added under the marriage events. I've indicated this as other marriage events, but it should have its own catagory.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Relationships

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi Stacey

I suspect that adding an " other event" called " Never Married" is logically wrong because you are adding an event that never happened.

I have added a " never married" flag to the ToDo list for iFamily for Leopard.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Relationships

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:10 am

Originally posted by ClyKitchen

How about a " +" sign in the diagrams to represent marriages or any other kind of relationship of that general type but don't designate it with an " m" which means it doesn't work for countless couples in the modern age. I just can't use any of these diagrams with the " m" permanently showing up there. Otherwise, I love the program.

Connie

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Relationships

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:54 pm

Originally posted by Richard

Could you add an 'add partner' button next to the add husband or wife button on the family page? I would like to show relationships where a couple, although in a lifetime relationship, chose not to marry.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Relationships

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Originally posted by kchez
Keith Wilson wrote:Hi Stacey

I suspect that adding an " other event" called " Never Married" is logically wrong because you are adding an event that never happened.

I have added a " never married" flag to the ToDo list for iFamily for Leopard.

Keith

Keith, have you added this yet?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Relationships

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:12 am

kchez wrote:
Keith Wilson wrote:Hi Stacey
I suspect that adding an " other event" called " Never Married" is logically wrong because you are adding an event that never happened. I have added a " never married" flag to the ToDo list for iFamily for Leopard. Keith

Keith, have you added this yet?
Hi Kathy

I know that in some other genealogy applications you can say that two people were " never married" , but what does it really mean?

To say that a couple in a union were " never married" is subject to different interpretations. Marriage events (Marriage, Divorce, Separation, Annulment, ...) may be differently defined by various governments and also by various religious organisations. For instance. if two people cohabitate for more than 6 months and have children then, in some countries, they are legally involved in a common-law or defacto marriage.

In many countries a marriage in a church is not recognised by the State and vice versa.

The rules have changed over time so you cannot apply today's rules to a relationship that occurred two hundred years ago when terms like living in sin :'( would be used the the church.

So what does " never married" really mean?

There may be a series of events (marriage, separation, divorce, ...) related to a union between two people and each of those events has a date.

In V2.436 I have added a new field to the Family pane in the lower half of the main window that displays the last known marriage status. If there is no marriage event for that couple then " No marriage events" is displayed.

Keith