Relationships on Decendant charts

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 am

Originally posted by JackHenry

1: When I print a decendant chart for my GGG Grandfather, it would be nice if there was an option to include the relationship (to the focal person) of all the people on the chart. So I could see at a glance that a particular person was my 6th cousin twice removed etc.

2: In the relationships calculator, when the results are shown (with up & down arrows) through the various lines, it would be great if a chart could be printed with those results. So you would end up with a 'mini' tree/decendant chart.

3: I've just come to the iMac from a PC background. There I used Roots Magic, where you could select a 'root' person (similar to your focal person). When ever the program was opened, it always opened at that person. Is it possible to do that in iFamily (which, by the way, is a program that I think is more useful than Roots Magic)

Regards
John

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:41 am

JackHenry wrote:1: When I print a decendant chart for my GGG Grandfather, it would be nice if there was an option to include the relationship (to the focal person) of all the people on the chart. So I could see at a glance that a particular person was my 6th cousin twice removed etc.Regards John
Hi John,
Due to the way that IFamily is designed what you request may be an expensive process and may slow the display of the Ancestors and Descendants diagrams dramatically. I suspect that you may mean that you want the kinship relationships calculated for a particular designated person rather than the current Focal Person in the Context Diagram. It may be better if the relationships were calculated relative to the root person in the current Ancestral View. I hear you, and will see what can be done, but ...

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:46 am

JackHenry wrote:2: In the relationships calculator, when the results are shown (with up & down arrows) through the various lines, it would be great if a chart could be printed with those results. So you would end up with a 'mini' tree/decendant chart. Regards John
Hi John
I built such a chart and scrapped it because I was not happy with it. I will try harder.
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 am

JackHenry wrote:3: I've just come to the iMac from a PC background. There I used Roots Magic, where you could select a 'root' person (similar to your focal person). When ever the program was opened, it always opened at that person. Is it possible to do that in iFamily? Regards, John
In iFamily you can make numero uno (you) the Focal Person of the Context Diagram and then create an Ancestral View for that person. An Ancestral View is dynamic and the people in the Ancestral View is recalculated each time you add or delete (or disconnect/reconnect) any person. You can have as many Ancestral Views as you like. The default background colour for people in the Ancestral View is pale green. To create an Ancestral View please refer to the Help menu option. You can also combine Ancestral Views using AND, IOR (Inclusive OR), XOR (Exclusive OR) and NOT - the resulting View is not dynamically updated.

iFamily always opens a database and displays it as it was when you last closed it, however ...

When you are navigating in iFamily you can quickly get back to the " root person of the Ancestral View" as follows:
  • left click on any person in the Ancestral View (someone with a green background)
  • press and hold down the left arrow key
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi Keith

You are correct regarding what I was after. It is the relationship to ME not the focal person as such. I have a decendant chart of GGG Grandfather with the many branches running off to the right. Somewhere amongst all of his decendants is ME. Since I started researching my history, I've discovered a lot of relatives I didn't know I had. As such, it is their relationship to me (sixth cousins twice removed etc) that I want to display, not the relationship to the focal person, as you correctly point out. Roots Magic (RM) didn't display this on charts either. It's something that would be very handy though.

The other thing that RM did was display the relationship permanently (if I checked that box in the options) of each person to the 'Root' person.

In iFamily, the Focal person is the Root person as far as I can see. What would be nice, is if I could make one person the root (in this case me) and let the focal person function work as it does now. This way, the 'focal person' is the person that you are working on, BUT all relationships etc are generated for the 'Root person'

Does that make sense???

Regards
John

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:20 pm

JackHenry wrote:Hi Keith, You are correct regarding what I was after. It is the relationship to ME not the focal person as such..... What would be nice, is if I could make one person the root (in this case me) and let the focal person function work as it does now. This way, the 'focal person' is the person that you are working on, BUT all (kinship) relationships etc are generated for the 'Root person'. Does that make sense? Regards, John
Hi John

Thanks. I think it makes sense but I will have to let the idea roll about a bit .... until I find a simple solution that does not affect the overall response too much. One way to do it is maybe to only display the kinship relationship to the root person 'on demand' rather than having them all recalculated and displayed all the time.

In V2.415 I have added the consanguinity relationship to the tooltip that is displayed when you move the mouse slowly over a person in the Context Diagram. In iFamily the consanguinity relationship is much faster to calculate than is the kinship relationship because kinship involves relationships by marriage.

In V2.415 I have also added the consanguinity to the mini personal details dialog for the Ancestors and Descendants diagram.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Thanx Keith. I'll stay tuned.

What is the latest useable release. I'm currently on 2.403

John

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:17 pm

JackHenry wrote:Thanx Keith. I'll stay tuned. What is the latest useable release. I'm currently on 2.403. John
Hi John,
The latest official release is V2.403. The latest useable release is always listed in What's New on this forum and it is currently V2.415.
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:18 pm

Keith

I've just got a wall chart back from the printer. A descendant chart starting from my GGG Grandfather and coming forward 9 generations.

It includes this 'relationship' modification that I requested. It looks FANTASTIC. The finished print is 1 metre wide and 1.6 metres high. I had it laminated too so I can mark information on it with whiteboard markers.

I emailed the PDF to them and final price three days later (with laminating) was $102, so I'm really happy.

The only problem is that the day after the printer advised me it was ready, I got contacted via email from a person that turns out to be a cousin on a line in the chart that I previously had no information on. Bugga....... I'll have to get another one printed now.

Thanx for adding this enhancement request into the software, it's added to the feature set nicely.

Regards
John