Source formats

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Source formats

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:28 am

Originally posted by dwmoore

This may be opening up a can of worms you would rather not look into, but...

Some other genealogy programs (The Master Genealogist in particular, from the Windows world) are beginning to implement source formats as defined in Evidence Explained by Elizabeth S. Mills. I am a professional genealogist, and for me the ability to use formats such as these in a database is like finding the Holy Grail. I suppose one could add new source types or edit existing ones to kluge a solution. But custom formats sure would be nice.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Source formats

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:49 am

dwmoore wrote:Some other genealogy programs (The Master Genealogist in particular, from the Windows world) are beginning to implement source formats as defined in Evidence Explained by Elizabeth S. Mills. I am a professional genealogist, and for me the ability to use formats such as these in a database is like finding the Holy Grail. I suppose one could add new source types or edit existing ones to kluge a solution. But custom formats sure would be nice.
Hi Donald,

In the lower LH corner of the Sources Add/Edit dialog you will find a Format button (and a Help button). This allows the user to format the Notes and then recall the format for re-use. It has been done this way so that it can be easily exported to a Gedcom 5.5 format file without needing to invent Custom Gedcom Tags which may not be understood by other genealogy applications. From memory I think this feature was in iFamily before Ms Mills published her bible.

You can add as many new Source Types into iFamily as you like. Gedcom 5.5 does not define a Source Type but some other genealogy apps use the same Custom Tag (_TYPE) as iFamily is using so this field does have some transferability.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Source formats

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:42 pm

Originally posted by dwmoore

Keith,

I'm still learning my way around the application, so thanks for pointing out that feature. Should have known that you were already on top of issues like this. And a bible it certainly is.

Being accustomed to other genealogy programs (Reunion), I need to reprogram myself to iFamily's more event-driven procedures. But that is as it should be. Great application.

Don