Drag and Drop People between Databases

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Originally posted by leahk

As I make contact with more living relatives I get given their GEDcom files from which I can create a new iFamily Database.

Sometimes these contain whole branches that are missing from my master database.
Sometime they have better information about an ancestor than I had.

E.g. I might have all the descendants of my Great Grandfather, but non of his brother's descendants.

I get given a new GEDcom file that includes this missing information.
I want to be able to load that GEDcom into a new database, then drag the brother across to my master iFamily database and drop it in placeholder box, beneath my grandfather, or if there is already an entry in the master db for my grand father's brother, drop it onto that.

I then want iFamily to :
- prompt to to replace the existing entry, if there is one.
- the ask me if I want to copy all the descendants too.

In the absence of drag and drop, the ability to copy and paste between databases would be ok.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:52 pm

leahk wrote:As I make contact with more living relatives I get given their GEDcom files from which I can create a new iFamily Database.

Sometimes these contain whole branches that are missing from my master database.
Sometime they have better information about an ancestor than I had.

E.g. I might have all the descendants of my Great Grandfather, but non of his brother's descendants.

I get given a new GEDcom file that includes this missing information.
I want to be able to load that GEDcom into a new database, then drag the brother across to my master iFamily database and drop it in placeholder box, beneath my grandfather, or if there is already an entry in the master db for my grand father's brother, drop it onto that.

I then want iFamily to :
- prompt to to replace the existing entry, if there is one.
- the ask me if I want to copy all the descendants too.

In the absence of drag and drop, the ability to copy and paste between databases would be ok.
Hi Leahk

You need to open two databases, select the appropriate people and then Right click on a Ghost Box in the Target Database.

There are detailed instructions in FAQs at "How do I Merge Data from One Database into Another?"

If you need additional assistance then please let me know.

If you decide to merge a branch of Ancestors or Descendants then iFamily will prompt you if it finds a possible duplicate person and if you say so then it will cease processing up or down from that particular node.

Keith