Index sorted by kinship level

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Originally posted by hib

One of the great features of iFamily is its ability to allow one to use the index of people to view all those within a certain kinship level (i.e., those a certain distance away on the family tree). I would find it very useful to add the ability to sort the index by kinship level. In this manner, one can work out from yourself (or any other focal person) and view those closest to oneself and those who are increasingly further away. While we may have some intuitive level for our immediate relatives, this helps quantify the relationship for those not as immediate.

This could either be implemented in a standalone window (from an option in the People menu) or possibly as a new column within the current index with the sorting done by clicking on the header as currently done.

Would anyone else find this useful?

Al Hibbard

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:15 pm

hib wrote:One of the great features of iFamily is its ability to allow one to use the index of people to view all those within a certain kinship level (i.e., those a certain distance away on the family tree). I would find it very useful to add the ability to sort the index by kinship level. In this manner, one can work out from yourself (or any other focal person) and view those closest to oneself and those who are increasingly further away. While we may have some intuitive level for our immediate relatives, this helps quantify the relationship for those not as immediate. This could either be implemented in a standalone window (from an option in the People menu) or possibly as a new column within the current index with the sorting done by clicking on the header as currently done. Would anyone else find this useful? Al Hibbard
Hi Al

In the Ancestors diagrams you can now (V2.407) include each of the ancestors' siblings' descendants. In the Descendants diagram you can now include each of the descendants' spouse's ancestors. Which should show you diagrammatically the path to every kin in the dynasty. If you select 75 generations of ancestors plus 75 generations of ancestors' siblings' descendants then iFamily will do it but it takes a little longer than if you are more conservative - and you will need Leopard running on a fast machine with 2Gb of memory. I would use Preview rather than Adobe Reader if you generate it as a PDF file.

If your head is now spinning then you need to try it.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Originally posted by Bob

Keith

This sounds interesting, but I can only access V2.403 as the latest version. Is this correct??

Bob

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:31 am

Bob wrote:Keith, This sounds interesting, but I can only access V2.403 as the latest version. Is this correct?? Bob
Hi Bob
I have emailed you V2.409
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Originally posted by hib
Keith Wilson wrote: Hi Al

In the Ancestors diagrams you can now (V2.407) include each of the ancestors' siblings' descendants. In the Descendants diagram you can now include each of the descendants' spouse's ancestors. Which should show you diagrammatically the path to every kin in the dynasty. If you select 75 generations of ancestors plus 75 generations of ancestors' siblings' descendants then iFamily will do it but it takes a little longer than if you are more conservative - and you will need Leopard running on a fast machine with 2Gb of memory. I would use Preview rather than Adobe Reader if you generate it as a PDF file.

Keith
This captures the spirit of my request but not quite the implementation. I was hoping for more of a list presentation. Here are two alternatives.

1. Add a column to the Index list that indicates the distance or kinship level and allow it to be sortable.

2. Provide a stand-alone window with the following features. Ideally, but I don't know if the frameworks allow for this, I envision the following. Provide a list similar to the Index but with (sortable) columns for kinship level/distance, name, birth date, death date, pop-up menu (if needed) listing spouse(s) (thus pop-up only needed if more than one), pop-up menu listing the sources used, if any, for birth, death, or marriage(s) (and again pop-up only needed if more than one). An alternative to the pop-up menus, if they don't work, is to have a source column following each of birth, death and spouses and replace spouses pop-up with simply a list.

The rationale for this request is to make sure that I have provided documentation for the major events of people and to prioritize those closest to me (or whoever is the chosen focal person).

Al

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:47 am

hib wrote:
Keith Wilson wrote: Hi Al

Keith
This captures the spirit of my request but not quite the implementation. I was hoping for more of a list presentation. Here are two alternatives.

1. Add a column to the Index list that indicates the distance or kinship level and allow it to be sortable.

2. Provide a stand-alone window with the following features. Ideally, but I don't know if the frameworks allow for this, I envision the following. Provide a list similar to the Index but with (sortable) columns for kinship level/distance, name, birth date, death date, pop-up menu (if needed) listing spouse(s) (thus pop-up only needed if more than one), pop-up menu listing the sources used, if any, for birth, death, or marriage(s) (and again pop-up only needed if more than one). An alternative to the pop-up menus, if they don't work, is to have a source column following each of birth, death and spouses and replace spouses pop-up with simply a list.

The rationale for this request is to make sure that I have provided documentation for the major events of people and to prioritize those closest to me (or whoever is the chosen focal person). Al
Hi Al,

Option 1 not on because (a) the People Index is already complex enough, and (b) because the Kinship calculation is both memory and CPU intensive. It would be OK on small databases where the whole database can be loaded into memory but on large databases it would make the People Index clunky and unusable.

Option 2 is worth pursuing. I have added it to the ToDo list.

Keith