Date calculator

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Date calculator

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:57 pm

Originally posted by hib

I occasionally read obituaries where the article may say that " he died on Thursday" and I know that the article was published on 17 Oct 1932. So what day did he die? While I have another method to look this up, if this is easy to program, it would sure be convenient to have some type of date calculator to facilitate these type of questions within iFamily.

Keith, what do you think? Would others find this useful?

Al

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Date calculator

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:19 am

hib wrote:I occasionally read obituaries where the article may say that " he died on Thursday" and I know that the article was published on 17 Oct 1932. So what day did he die? While I have another method to look this up, if this is easy to program, it would sure be convenient to have some type of date calculator to facilitate these type of questions within iFamily. Keith, what do you think? Would others find this useful? Al
In V2.401 there is a date calculation aid as follows:
  • 1. In the Family pane enter the person's death date as before 17 Oct 1932 - on the assumption that he died before his obituary was published.

2. Hover your mouse over the Died label - the tooltip will display the date as Monday, 17 Oct 1932

3. If you like then change the date to be the Thursday before 17 Oct 1932 which was 13 Oct 1932. In the Notes for the death event you may (or may not) explain what you have done, eg " Obit published in the Times on 17 Oct 1932" . You could also add an event of type OBIT and/or add a Source Reference - it depends on how you like to do it.

4. As an alternative to the above (in V2.401) click on the Born or Died label and it will display a small calendar for the appropriate month.
Keith