Family Names menu item

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Family Names menu item

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed May 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Originally posted by hib

I have two requests for the Family Names option under the People menu. I am using the latest version.

1. In the Filter on names that contain option, it would be nice if this could include filtering on the double quote " character. While some people use quotes for nicknames, for several reasons I want such names enclosed in parentheses following the first name. Therefore, I want to find all those names with quotes.

2. On occasion I have copied over names from other ged files where the creator chose to use all lower case letters for all names. While the one button can be used to fix last names, it would be nice to easily fix the other names as well. Two routes for this: include another button to capitalize other names OR allow the filter to optionally distinguish between lower and upper case and to specify first character.

Thanks,

Al

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Family Names menu item

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun May 25, 2008 1:20 am

hib wrote: ... for the Family Names option under the People menu....

In the Filter on names that contain option, it would be nice if this could include filtering on the double quote " character. While some people use quotes for nicknames, for several reasons I want such names enclosed in parentheses following the first name. Therefore, I want to find all those names with quotes.
Al
Hi Al,

I do not see how a Family Name can contain a double quote. To avoid confusion I have changed the label for this filter to read " Filter on Family Names that contain"

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Family Names menu item

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun May 25, 2008 1:32 am

hib wrote: ... for the Family Names option under the People menu...

On occasion I have copied over names from other ged files where the creator chose to use all lower case letters for all names. While the one button can be used to fix last names, it would be nice to easily fix the other names as well. Two routes for this: include another button to capitalize other names OR allow the filter to optionally distinguish between lower and upper case and to specify first character.Thanks, Al
I suggest that you use the People Index, click on the header of the Given Names column, and then scroll down to the end of the list. This will group all the first names that start with a lowercase character. You can edit the Name at the bottom of the People Index. Make sure that you capitalise the second names at the same time.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Family Names menu item

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:28 pm

Originally posted by hib
Keith Wilson wrote:
hib wrote: ... for the Family Names option under the People menu....

In the Filter on names that contain option, it would be nice if this could include filtering on the double quote " character. While some people use quotes for nicknames, for several reasons I want such names enclosed in parentheses following the first name. Therefore, I want to find all those names with quotes.
Al
Hi Al,

I do not see how a Family Name can contain a double quote. To avoid confusion I have changed the label for this filter to read " Filter on Family Names that contain"

Keith
It was obvious after I thought about it that I can simply search for a " in the Find in Names in the main window. This works great.

Al