Certificate Check Boxes

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Certificate Check Boxes

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:47 pm

Originally posted by guyholmes

I am looking for a way to show and consolidate all the info I have. In particular, all my certificates (B,M & D) as well as Census Images etc, are held within iPhoto and transferred into iFamily. But I was going through the other day, trying to find which direct ancestors I don't have certificates for.

Would it be possible to have as a tab at the bottom (alongside Pictures, Events etc) a tab for 'Certificates' or 'Documents' ? My certificates are stored as images under pictures but I would love to be able to cross a 'check-box' to say which certificates I have for an individual. We all obviously have Birth and Death, and most of our ancestors will have marriage (hopefully). Perhaps we could add user definable boxes that we want to be able to produce a report on ie. Copy of the Will, Confirmation cert, 1851, 1861, 1901 Census, so that you could easily see if you were missing a relation in a particular decade.

Any thoughts, or are my requirements just too unique !!??

Guy

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Certificate Check Boxes

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Originally posted by NigelRichman

Guy,

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I just tried adding a Census image to the picture page and it is there OK but becomes the Default picture thumbnail - which I do not want. Maybe an option to hide an image along with setting as default is needed?

Sounds like there would be a need to have a image type tag to identify the content:

Picture Birth Certificate Marriage Certificate Death Certificate Census Record Will and I am sure many others.

I don't know how iFamilyforTiger hold the images but I would expect they could be links to the external file in which case it may be necessary to have a method of collecting them together for export to transfer to another machine or as linked images for a Gedcom. (If it doesn't do it already that is)

Nigel

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Certificate Check Boxes

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Originally posted by Bob

LIke Nigel I scan all documents and place them in as JPEG pictures where they are easily seen, but the problem is, when there is no family photo the first document becomes the default. Would it be possible to place document scans into " sources" ?

I personally find it easy to see what documents I have just be opening the photos box. It would be neater if they were not mixed up with the family photos.

Bob

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Certificate Check Boxes

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:38 am

Bob wrote: LIke Nigel I scan all documents and place them in as JPEG pictures where they are easily seen, but the problem is, when there is no family photo the first document becomes the default. Would it be possible to place document scans into " sources" ? I personally find it easy to see what documents I have just be opening the photos box. It would be neater if they were not mixed up with the family photos. Bob
Hi Bob and Nigel,

1. You can add an image to a Source itself. It can be a PDF file if you like.

2. You can add a Placeholder picture to the Pictures pane using the button marked Add Placeholder in the Pictures pane. The PlaceHolder picture is never printed or displayed - except as a blank square in the Pictures pane.

3. You can drag any thumbnail in the Pictures Pane to be the first picture in the first row (the Default Picture) or you can right click on one and select Make Default from the pop-up menu. Or you can select one (left click) and press the button marked Make Default.

4. You can drag any thumbnail in the Pictures pane to any other position in the Pictures pane.

5. You can drag any thumbnail in the Pictures pane onto anyone in the Context Diagram in the top half of the main window.

6. You can right click on any thumbnail in the Pictures pane and select Copy to Clipboard - Thumbnail or - Original image from the pop-up menu. The image can then be pasted into another application or back into iFamily itself.

7. You can open/edit the original image with any application you like using right click and Open With

None of which answers Guy's original question about " Certificate Check Boxes" but I hope it answers some other parts of this thread.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Certificate Check Boxes

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:03 am

Originally posted by Lesley

Personally I find it much easier to have the certificates with the photos as I can see and view at a glance what I have already or still need instead of plowing through all my folders that have the originals which used to drive me nuts ....you can select the order and have the certs placed at the end if you want .. I think the ticks and boxes for BDMs although it sounds good initially will not work as well as having them in pictures ........as then it will be ticks wanted for census 1841 onwards .... wills ect ....and the window will start to look messy

regards lesley

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Certificate Check Boxes

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:51 am

Originally posted by guyholmes

As always, Keith has it comprehensively covered !!!

I do agree with lesley, that I like having all my images together in the pictures folder. I keep a close up head shot as the default (or the placeholder) and have all certificates, documents and census images lined up in order so that as you say, I can look and see all images that relate to a particular person.

I'm just now debating the worth of having a sort of 'inventory' page where you can define and have a few default boxes so that you can fun through your tree and see exactly what you have and don't have. Yes, it won't be the most visually appealing page on iFamily, it will be pretty functional, but the question is, will it be that useful at all ?? I guess we're getting to the point where squeezing new 'ground breaking' features out of the software is getting increasingly difficult as it is such a complete program already. I don't want to add new features that are never going to get used and just see iFamily suffer from the software bloat that seems to befall other software, with 90% of the users only using 10% of the features.

I just went through on a spreadsheet and listed my 256 or so direct ancestors, 20 of whom I have no idea who there were. Then for the remainder listed whether I had the birth marriage and death cert, and from that can see where I have holes in my research. Historically I have only purchased certificates where they could prove or disprove my tree or where I needed the information to move further back. Now I am trying to consolidate my family story by obtaining certificates where they were missing. At the same time, I know I have individuals that are missing from a census year where a bit of additional research may well find them. I could use this same spreadsheet, but fair to say, I can go through the pictures folder and see person by person if there are images missing. Just opening this idea for debate !!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Certificate Check Boxes

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Originally posted by Bob

Thanks Keith, I hadn't used the Add Placeholder function before. Very Useful. The ability to see all your documents in one glance is a great feature. I don't think I would use a flag. Thanks!