Citation Image

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Citation Image

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:45 am

Originally posted by akialoa

Suppose I create a source for a book.

I then may have various citations to different pages of the book for different people/events. The source citation provides an entry for Page/Ref where I can enter the page number. It also provides an entry for adding notes.

Would it be possible to extend this one more step ó add a picture pane where a copy of the actual page could be placed?

I know that this copy of the page can be added to the individual's Pictures which is what I do now. But it would be preferable to have it more directly connected to the citation. It would be nice to be able to look at the page while I'm in the Event panel. Particularly when I'm taking information from the cited page and entering names/dates/places/notes for the cited event.

Basically, wherever there is a Page/Ref there would be an option for linking to an image. And perhaps these images could also be automatically added to the individuals Pictures if so desired.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Citation Image

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:10 pm

Originally posted by p418unw

I am now on 2.381.

I think my request is similar to that of akailoa.

I like where you are going with the web publishing.

I have not been rigorous in indexing sources, but keep the source citations of census records etc in the general notes, and save actual census records and scanned documents in the pictures repository with all my photos.
I would like to be able to publish more photos (downsized in photoshop, of course), but because the documents are bundled with them, I can only really practically set it to display the default picture.

So would you consider a seperate repository for documents in the program?

I hope you understand what I am getting at.

Keep up the excellent work.

Peter

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Citation Image

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:15 am

Hi Peter and akailoa,

Adding Images to Source References

You can of course add one image to the Source itself.

The addition of images to Source References will require a database change so I have added the request to the ToDo list for consideration when the database needs to be updated for other reasons.

HTML - Including Originals of Images

In V2.383 (released today) the original images that are saved with the HTML files may be saved as compressed JPEG files with a maximum width of 750 pixels. The compression factor used (5:1) is quite high so:
  • the file sizes for the 'originals' of images are reduced by about 10:1 but the reduction may be as high as 50:1
  • the image quality is lower
  • it takes longer to generate the HTML web pages.
Does that answer the question?

Keith