Pictures on the Diagrams

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:45 am

Originally posted by ricky

I have recently changed from PC to Mac and was using Family Historian ( the best on PC in my view ) and there are a couple of features I miss now I'm using iFamily ( the best on Mac in my view !..and much more intuitive than FamilyHistorian on PC ).

I'll post these as separate threads so that they can be responded to individually. The first is very simple :-

[a] On the contect diagram we see the default image above the Focal Person, but it would be great to have the option to include the default image of all persons in the diagram, not just the focal person.

Also to be able to include the default photo on the A and D diagrams.

[c] It would be good if the image were attached to the person's outline box, rather than floating above it, perhaps to the left or right ( according to the user's preference? ) [ would just need to make the box a bit wider and top/bottom right/left coordinate would help place the pic..? ]

Ricky.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:28 am

I tried all the above options for displaying extra images on the diagrams but finally decided to apply the KISS principle.

However, maybe some others (besides just me) would like to vote - or maybe I should simply make it an option. The main reason for not doing it was that I have other ideas for using up the available space in the diagram - but maybe I should make them options as well. One idea is to include the ability to display associated but unrelated people on the context diagram, such as a business associate, best friend or companion.

Regards, Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon May 28, 2007 10:50 pm

Hi Keith, any more thoughts on being able to add pictures of people to the diagrams ?

many thanks, Ricky.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue May 29, 2007 5:15 am

Originally posted by annemac

Version 2.108
I like the photo floating above the box for the focal person, I think to have the photo for a spouse visible would be good.

Cheers

Anne

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue May 29, 2007 9:12 am

Hi Annie,

Thanks for the compromise on this one - will have a look at adding the spouse's picture alongside the focal person's picture.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:48 am

Originally posted by guyholmes

Perhaps iFamily could show photos for the Focal Person and 1 generation either side - Looks like there is room on the Context Diagram to have photos for 3 generations. Of course, most of us will only have photos of maybe 4 or 5 generations of family members.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:39 pm

I was thinking more the A and D diagrams rather than the Context Diagram...an option here would be great..... thoughts ?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:15 pm

ricky wrote:I was thinking more the A and D diagrams rather than the Context Diagram...an option here would be great..... thoughts ?
I'll test some options like
a) pictures as part of the diagram - this could slow things down quite a bit.
b) mouse over (or a hot spot) and picture pops up
c) miniature picture (or symbol) - click on it and it enlarges/displays a thumbnail

but then the default picture for the selected person is already displayed in the floating mini details dialog - which you activate by double clicking on someone.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:20 pm

Originally posted by jimhoff

I would love the option to turn on default photo for the A & D charts so I could print them to PDF. That way I could create a D chart of the Grand parents and all the descendants and take it to the next family reunion. One other option would be the ability to choose the size like we choose a font size.

At the last family reunion I had a large chart printed that got the people talking about family.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:41 am

In iFamily for Tiger V2.311 the user now has a new option for the Ancestors and Descendants called Display Thumbnail Pictures

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:02 pm

Originally posted by John Imhoff

v2.311 works quite well on my Tiger v10.4.11 G5. The Thumbnails are quite grainy but seem to to fulfill the need and are sized very nicely. I tried a number of report options and sizes and settled in at 6 point for the chart. The thumbnails also do not seem to slow down the printer at all (fast RIP!!).

I just realized that something was missing. Can we add the " spouses" ? for the Descendants chart. Drop in their thumbnails just under their names like the principles.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:44 am

Can we add the " spouses" ? for the Descendants chart.
I hear you but please remember that this is a Descendants Diagram rather than a hierarchy of families units. Displaying images of spouses on the Descendants Diagram would be complicated because some people have more than one spouse. King Brian Boru had 3 real wives and 30 concubines - those that we know about - but then we are unlikely to find a photograph of any of them so this not actually going to cause a problem for us when using iFamily.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:20 pm

Originally posted by John Imhoff

A " hierarchy of families units" ? Is that a standard term? Maybe that's what I really need to have in order to answer the question or display graphically " who are we and how are we related." at the next family reunion?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:12 pm

Forgot to say....thanks Keith.... pics on diagrams working just as desired...keep up the great work .. ! :D

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Pictures on the Diagrams

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:35 pm

Descendants Diagram

V2.347 - added an option to display the default image for each spouse in the Descendants Diagram.