Adding new source from event screen

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Originally posted by jmjrph

I dont know if this is an enhancement or if it already exists but I dont know it. When I enter an event like a new census listing I want to click the source box at the end of the line and add a new source entry but it seems I can only do this from the Add/Edit menu so I have to leave the Event screen, add it and go back. Am I missing something?
Jane in Minneapolis

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:39 am

Hi Jane

A Person may be Referenced (Cited) in many Sources.

A Person may be involved in many Events.

An Event may be Referenced (Cited) in many Sources.

What you are adding in the Sources pane is a Reference to a Source so the Source must first exist before the Reference can be made. So the answer is yes, you must first use the Sources Add/Edit dialog before you can add a reference to a new source.

If a Source references many events or people you may also like to consider using an Active Source. For instructions on using an Active Source: Use menu option Sources - Add/Edit and then click on the pink Help button next to the button labelled Deactivate Active Source. The instructions are as follows:

Using an Active Source
  • A Person or an Event may be connected to a Source via a Source Reference (a Citation) and thus there are two chains of relationships:

Person - Source Reference - Source

Event - Source Reference - Source

If your mode of operation is to work from a Source and to add all the relevant data from that Source into iFamily and then move onto the next Source and add all its relevant data, then you can have iFamily automatically create the Source References when you add new people and events.

In this mode of operation the steps are as follows:
    • 1. Create a new Source record using menu option Sources - Add/Edit...
    • 2. At the bottom of the Sources dialog press the button labelled " Select as Active Source" and close the dialog.
    • 3. Add the People and Events that are mentioned in the Source.
    • 4. In the pop-up Active Source panel add the Page No, Topic and Notes for each Reference to the Active Source.
    • 5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you have gleaned all the information from the Source document.
    • 6. Use the toolbar button labelled " A/S" to deactivate the Active Source.
    Hint 1: If you have Source document for a Burial that also includes the person's Death date you do not need to add 2 Source References, you can simply change the Topic to read " Death and Burial" .

Hint 2: The A/S button on the Toolbar can be used as a shortcut to the Sources Add/Edit dialog.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Originally posted by jmjrph

Ah, well Hint #2 at the very end seems most like what I asked about. I will try the A/S button! However it seems you assume the most common work flow is to find a source document and enter everything gleaned from it at once. Mine has been to focus on one person and enter a variety of events to construct a time line for them. I will try the other direction next time I have a new source documents. Thanks!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:45 pm

Originally posted by jillaine smith

I just want to add my voice to the cacophony calling for the ability to add a new source while editing an event instead of having to add a source first. It sounds like at least a few of us have a work flow style that includes adding new sources while we are adding or editing events.

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:55 pm

I would not call a few isolated requests a " cacophany" but I still hear you loud and clear.

Keith