Index of names option ending  report

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:55 pm

Originally posted by BillyBob152

I wonder if it would be possible to have an option to end each Ancestor/Descendant report with a listing of names that appeared in a report with the page numbers opposite their names.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:01 pm

iFamily for Tiger has no idea how your word processor will paginate the report.

But - each block of data in the report is exported as a different " style" so once you have loaded it into your word processor you may (or may not) be able to create such an index using the style for " Persons Name" .

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:41 am

I know that Reunion has this feature but I do not know how they accomplish it. It works in Word and AppleWorks. I have used it and it works quite well -- but Reunion otherwise is not as good as iFamily for Tiger in other ways.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:19 am

It is easy to write an index that works with Word in an RTF file - but it does not work with all word processors so we scrapped it.

Will try again - maybe be the user the option - if it is known that it not work with (or upsets) the target word processor then iFamily can warn the user. It might take a few iterations to get it right for all word processors.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:59 pm

Keith Wilson wrote:It is easy to write an index that works with Word in an RTF file - but it does not work with all word processors so we scrapped it.

Will try again - maybe be the user the option - if it is known that it not work with (or upsets) the target word processor then iFamily can warn the user. It might take a few iterations to get it right for all word processors.

Keith
Thanks very much, Keith. That would be a welcome addition! :D

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:16 pm

In iFamily V2.299 the Ancestors and Descendants Reports now includes RTF index fields . They are understood by MS Word 2004, and maybe some others.

The Index will not be automatically displayed when you open the file - you must decide where it is to go and create it as follows:

1. Generate the Ancestors or Descendants Report and select MS Word to open it.

2. Go to the start or the end of the document and Insert a New Page. Make sure that your cursor is at the start of the new empty page.

3. Go to the MS Word menu option Insert - Index and Tables

4. In the Index and Contents dialog click on the Index Tab.

5. Select the 2 columns option

6. Check Right Align Page Numbers

7. Press the OK button

All done - the Index is displayed in two columns each containing FamilyName, GivenNames ------Page No.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:14 pm

Originally posted by jillaine smith

Wow... do you know if this will work in Apple's PAGES software? (I'm trying to avoid MS products on my new mac... -)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:52 pm

As far as I can see Pages ignores Index information in an RTF file.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:57 pm

Originally posted by jmjrph

While we are on the topic of reports with indexes, I will refer back to my request for a shorter source report that could be used as an index at the front of my paper source book. I would be exporting into Word 2004 Mac (duh) and simply want one source per line instead of 4 lines for each source. You are so good about replies that I wondered if my request about this got lost in the shuffle. Thanks.