Google Earth integration

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Google Earth integration

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:46 am

Originally posted by Megabyte

I've been using iFamily for Tiger now for few months and since this is my first post on this forum, may I say Keith how impressed I am with the software. I say that not only as someone new to genealogy, but as a long standing software developer (28 years!).

During my research , as I interrogate online census, BMD indexes and the like I'd find myself asking , where is that? I'd use google earth to find places and that in itself could eliminate or intensify my research of a particular record.

Then I discovered the cool feature of iFamily for Tiger ... export to iCal, this inter application connection had not occurred to me in this context but was instantly obvious as to it's usefulness.

So then the eureka moment, but what if....

you could export peoples locations to google earth to visualize where peoples were concentrated , their movements etc etc.

I'm just as interested in the where as the who , when, and what [they were up to].

Just my 2c. I know it's a little embryonic as to how this might would work at present, but I'll give it some more thought too should you consider it a good idea.

regards
Andrew

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Google Earth integration

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:25 am

Originally posted by John Imhoff

Tracking migratory patterns is a genealogy subject. I would recommend that the right mouse click of a location, Birth, death etc. then reveal a link to one or more of the web mapping tools, google, map quest etc. with the location passed directly to the web page once selected.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Google Earth integration

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Thanks, no promises, but it is on the ToDo list for iFamily for Leopard.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Google Earth integration

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:58 pm

Originally posted by thor0128

I would vote for this feature to be added as well. Thanks Keith! ::)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Google Earth integration

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:52 am

Originally posted by Kirkman

Hi, Keith... Since iFamily has " Residence" as an event, perhaps you could add an " Export residences to Google Maps"

I'm a bit of an amateur compared to some of your other users, but I've recently started mapping a particular branch of my family on maps.google.com using addresses from the census and death certs, etc. It's interesting to see where they cluster within the city at a particular time period. I'm typing all this info by hand, but I already have it in iFamily.

Another thing that might be interesting... Since Google Maps lets you create multiple maps, perhaps there could be an option to separate the residences by decades into separate map files. This way you could see more easily movements over time.

--Josh

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Google Earth integration

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:08 am

In Google Maps you can capture the map and then paste it into the iFamily Pictures pane as follows:
  • Adjust the Google Map the way you like to see it.
  • Hold down Cmd + Control + Shift with your left hand and press the 4 key (on the main keypad not the numeric keypad)
  • Swipe an area on the map and release the mouse button
  • The area you swiped is now in the clipboard as an image.
  • Right click on a person in the Context Diagram and select Paste Image from the pop-up menu.
In V2.324 the above is partly automated for you and the latitude and longitude can be saved in the iFamily database - refer What's New.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Google Earth integration

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:17 pm

Originally posted by msetrem

Keith,

Being able to copy a place per person is interesting, but isn't really what I had understood by GIS (google earth / maps etc) integration.

I was hoping for something more like http://geoged.com/page.php?lang=EN
With exports either by person ( track migration), family or century, with each event geocoded.

Hopefully this is the first step? )