Lineage

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Lineage

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:26 am

Originally posted by guyholmes

Hi Keith,

I've got another one for you ................. I hear you groan

Didn't you have the feature in an earlier version of iFamily to click on an individual, drag the line to anyone else in the Context Diagram and it would give you the relationship (if any) between those two people - ie. Joe Bloggs is the Grt Grt Grt Grandson of Mavis Smith ??? Might be thinking of another program I have used, and I know the click and drag is used in another manner in iFamily, so I guess it would be difficult to implement, but some sort of 'Relationship Calculator' might be handy in the menu ?? I do get confused however in the basic rules of 3rd cousins twice removed etc, but you could perhaps have a menu where you specify the source person and target from the database and it will spit out the official relationship if one exists.

Also, am having some dealings at the moment with someone with whom I have a common ancestor, about 5 generations back. Descendent and Ancestor Trees are great, but a bit too detailed for our purpose. Could we get an additional 'Lineage Chart' where you can specify again a start and end person, and it will draw a chart (a bit like a simple Underground 'Tube Line' if you are even vaguely familiar with that), showing the source person and their 2 parents, and showing a direct line with the 2 parents right back to the target ancestor. In this way I could show the line of descent from our common family member, but without the tree fanning out and becoming hard to navigate.

Just a thought !!!

Happy New Year

Guy

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Lineage

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:46 am

I've got another one for you ... I hear you groan
ALL feedback is welcome. If there was a manual then I could tell you to read it, but it does not exist, so ....
Didn't you have the feature in an earlier version of iFamily to click on an individual, drag the line to anyone else in the Context Diagram and it would give you the relationship (if any) between those two people - ie. Joe Bloggs is the Grt Grt Grt Grandson of Mavis Smith ??? Might be thinking of another program I have used, and I know the click and drag is used in another manner in iFamily, so I guess it would be difficult to implement, but some sort of 'Relationship Calculator' might be handy in the menu ?? I do get confused however in the basic rules of 3rd cousins twice removed etc, but you could perhaps have a menu where you specify the source person and target from the database and it will spit out the official relationship if one exists.
  • In iFamily you can Left Click on someone in the Context Diagram and drag a line to any of his/her immediate relatives, i.e a parent, a spouse or a child. You have never been able to drag a line to grandparents or grandchildren.
  • You can also Right Click on anyone and immediately navigate to his grandparents, cousins, aunts by choosing them from the pop-up context menu.
  • In the People Index you can display the blood relationship between the current Focal Person and any other person in the database by checking the Consanguinity button.
  • In the People Index you can use the button labelled Relationship to Focal Person to display the shortest relationship path between the Focal Person and any other person
Also, am having some dealings at the moment with someone with whom I have a common ancestor, about 5 generations back. Descendent and Ancestor Trees are great, but a bit too detailed for our purpose. Could we get an additional 'Lineage Chart' where you can specify again a start and end person, and it will draw a chart (a bit like a simple Underground 'Tube Line' if you are even vaguely familiar with that), showing the source person and their 2 parents, and showing a direct line with the 2 parents right back to the target ancestor. In this way I could show the line of descent from our common family member, but without the tree fanning out and becoming hard to navigate.
I think that the following will do what you need
  • Make yourself the Focal Person in the Context Diagram
  • Use the Ancestors (A) button on the toolbar
  • Press the green maximize button to enlarge the Ancestors diagram to be full screen
  • Right Click on one of your your ggggGrandfathers - a pop-up menu appears
  • From the pop-up menu select Contract to Bloodline to Root Person.
  • If there is still too much detail then choose Customise Defaults and choose the options that you need
  • Press the Save as PDF button
  • In Preview you can annotate the diagram or highlight something special and then use menu option File - Mail Document to send the diagram to a friend
  • In the Ancestors and Descendants diagrams there are other options in the Right Click pop-up menu that allow you to
    • Activate the Personal Details floating panel.
    • Invoke the person's Family Details dialog
    • Promote the Selected Person to be the Root Person of the diagram
    • Contract a person's ancestors
    • Expand a contracted person's ancestors
    • Promote a Sibling, Cousin. Aunt.... to be the Root Person of the diagram.
    • Some of the above have keyboard shortcuts - look for them in the pop-up menu.
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Lineage

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:50 pm

Originally posted by guyholmes

Keith, you're a genius !!

iFamily is getting so feature packed now, I'm losing my grip on what it does !! Yes, tried that ancestors diagram, and with a bit of tweaking, got it scrunched down to just what I was looking for. Perfect.

Many thanks for your speedy response, and you can rest this New Years Eve knowing that you don't need to add anything to the program !

Cheers once again

Guy