Photo URLs

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Photo URLs

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:33 pm

Originally posted by ibawolf

I started experimenting with a web genealogy web service called Geni (http://geni.com/) which is an online genealogy collaboration application. I use it to work in a single work space with other members of my family and collaborate on our family tree. It's a great service, and totally free. They are working on adding many capabilities, including gedcom import and export (export in beta now, import to be added after export goes production) and with the gedcom export it is a wonderful service to use for data collection to feed your personal iFamily copy with data. It also serves as a wonderful online backup in case you loose your harddrive (it happened to me, it could happen to you too).

Don't worry, it really is an enhancement request, I just had to explain the above to get to the request D.

The Gedcom export produced by Geni does not contain the data of a photograph, but contains a URL where the photo may be retrieved from the site. When I imported the gedcom export from geni into iFamily, iFamily didn't seem to understand how to interpret these URLs. Any chance this would be an easy enhancement?

I just updated to 2.318, and tried this import again with the newer version. The same issue appears. iFamily doesn't seem to know what to do with the URLS that are output by Geni. I would be happy to send you this gedcom file to experiment with.

Thanks.

Ron

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Photo URLs

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:38 am

In iFamily for Tiger you use menu option File - Import Pictures.

You can then drag a folder containing the images into the drop-box in the Import Pictures dialog.

iFamily will not utilise the URL information - it simply looks for the filename described by the last path component.

You need to find some way of exporting and downloading all the pictures from the web site into a folder on your hard drive fro the above to work.

Keith