.mac

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

.mac

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:38 pm

Originally posted by suecarla

I currently have version 2.266. Do you think it may be possible in the future to have the capability to integrate with .mac to share family trees with Apple's web-hosting service? :-?

Carla

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

.mac

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:11 am

I have added your suggestion to the ToDo list. Do you have any ideas on how you would like it to work? Would it be a set of hyper-linked web pages or would it be a copy of the iFamily database file that they could download and view in a copy of iFamilyForTiger on their local Mac? The second option would generate some more sales of iFamilyForTiger. :)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

.mac

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:20 pm

How about both? ::)

Carla

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

.mac

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:22 am

really I would prefer the first option.

Carla

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

.mac

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Originally posted by thor0128

The other issue for .mac publishing would be how to have it take on the attributes of your current .mac web site.. .mac uses a template system for developing pages. so that needs to be considered, as for posting a copy of the iFamily database, that has other issue like family members that use windows (oh no the darkside) :o also would that database be automatically update when you make changes on your local copy?

it is a lot to think about... D

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

.mac

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:27 am

family members that have windows just need to convert.... D

Carla

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

.mac

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Originally posted by ianmoore

How about being able to generate html pages of charts and family names that could be inserted into .Mac templates or other web page creating software?
http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/Smilies/cool.gif

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

.mac

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Originally posted by thor0128

I would go for generate HTML pages. I use rapid weaver for web development and can insert HTML in to it.. Another way would be to export iFamily database into a MySQL data base on my web server then I can create what I need from there.. Okay now the propeller on my head is spinning fast...
D :o

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

.mac

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:52 pm

If you want to publish your family tree information on a web site then my recommended solution is to:
  • Use iFamily as your master database and enter all your information into iFamily.
  • Validate and get your iFamily database as complete as possible - this may take 12 months or more.
  • Generate a Gedcom file.
  • Use The Next Generation (TNG) by Darrin Lythgow http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php
  • New & Improved in TNG 6:

Google Maps: Show Google maps right inside your TNG pages, with pins to indicate the locations of events in your database.
    Slide Shows: Make a slide show of any group of images on your site, plus you control the speed.
    Descendancy Chart: Now see an individual's descendants in graphical " box" style, with photos (where they exist).
    Pedigree Chart: Move smoothly back and forth among your ancestors without refreshing the page, using AJAX technology.
    Media: All around more flexible. Plus, now link media directly to events and places. Videos and sound recordings are supported now also.
    Albums: Assemble any number of photos, histories, or other media into an " album" to create experiences around specific individuals, families or other topics.
    Timelines: See lifetime events for each person on your timeline chart, plus add events for any date in history.
    Bookmarks: Allow users to save pages within your site that they'd like to visit again.
    Latitude & Longitude: Add coordinates to media & places, possibly for use with Google Maps and other programs.
    New Menus: It's easier to get around your site, and the options are more readable too.
    Admin Overhaul: Many improvements in the administrative area make online site management a breeze.
    Spam Control: We've made it much harder for spammers to take control of your web forms and fill up your in box.
    Security: Passwords are now encrypted with MD5, making them even harder to decipher.
    Search: You'll find more search options, with faster results.
    Plus many more improvements! See a complete list of all changes here. Tested on all major browser platforms.
Keith