Relations trees & Potential duplicates

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:40 am

Originally posted by LesFreck

Two enhancements I would like:

1) A very nice feature of Gene v. 4.3.4 is its ability to produce a " relations tree" (i.e., you select any two names from your database, and the program produces a tree indicating how the two people are related.) Where people are related in multiple ways, it produces multiple trees.

2) It would be great to have a " search for potential duplicates" feature. This would search the entire database for potential duplicates, and help identify, for example, where distant cousins have married distant cousins in large databases. After verifying that a person appears twice in a database the user would have the option of merging the two entries. Users could specify the criteria to be used in identifying potential duplicates (e.g., first name, middlename, surname, birth year, birthday, birth country, birth province/state/county, birth city matches on all criteria, matches on 3 of 7 criteria, etc.)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:53 am

Hi Les

I believe that the following functions provide part of what you are asking for:
  • Relationships to the Focal Person
    In the People Index you can use the button labelled Relationship to Focal Person - it displays the shortest path between two people.
  • Duplicate People
    At the bottom of the People Index there is a button called Show Duplicates
  • Marriages between Cousins
    In the Ancestors diagram you may notice that some people have a faint rectangular box drawn around them - this indicates that they occur twice in the diagram via different paths to the root person. When you click on one of these " repeated" people in the Ancestors diagram you will notice that two paths to the root are highlighted. You can then do one of two things to see it better (1) click on Names Only on the Toolbar or (2) Right click on one of the instances and the select " Contract to Bloodline to Root" .

The same applies in the Descendants diagrams.
    In the Royal92 database you will find that some people occur more than twice as ancestors of QE II.
  • Combining Project Views
    In Royal92 create two Ancestral Views - one for QE II and another for Prince Philip.
    Go to menu option ProjectViews - Combine Using AND/OR
    Create a new Project View for QE II's Ancestors AND Prince Philip's Ancestors.
    Select the new ProjectView as the active Project View.
    In the Context Diagram those people who are in the new combined Project View will now be highlighted in green.
Hope the above helps - I will think about your ideas in more detail and let them gestate.

Keith