New diagram and report

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

New diagram and report

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:31 am

Originally posted by curriouscat

This may already be available but I just don't know how to do it. I don't even know what it would be called.

The problem is this. I have been adding spouses and children for siblings. Those spouses have parents and siblings (and sometimes other spouses). They all have more kids and spouses and parents. It just gets completely out of hand and very complicated. I have no way of visualising what has happened - and I would like to.

iFamily has a report to show the ancestors of a person and the descendants of a person. Although these are extremely useful, they do no cover all offshoots. The 'dynasties report' just lists the people but not the relationships. I don't want to have go to the bottom of every tree and 'find ancestors' or go to the top of all the trees and 'find descendants'. There would be hundreds of bottoms and tops.

I would like to be able to, for the focal person, have a diagram showing all the relationships that spread out from there and up and down (for a selected number of generations) and sideways (with all the ups and downs for the sideways). Failing a diagram (and maybe as well) to have a report of all the relatives for a selected number of generations.

Does that sound hard? :)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

New diagram and report

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:26 am

Hi Geoff

The best I can offer (at the moment) is the comma separated list that is generated using the new Print button on the Relatives pane - in V2.257

You could then import this list into a spreadsheet and see the selected person's GrandParents - GreatGrandchildren plus Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and In-Laws.

You can also email the spreadsheet to the " selected person" (if still alive) and get them to fill in the blanks,

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

New diagram and report

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:40 am

Originally posted by curriouscat

Thank you Keith. That is an excellent start. I had thought of a print button and export to csv on that page. It will go some of the distance to what I have in mind. It would be good also to (later) be able to go to a diagram. But I don't know what that would look like.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

New diagram and report

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:14 pm

Originally posted by Chris Knight

Family Historian on the PC has such a diagram. It's one of the reasons I still use it (under Parallels on the Mac). It is indeed a useful diagram for helping one navigate through a lot of rellies.

Chris